1.2TDI potential

Rudis

Hey, for the last few weeks I was skimming through all the info I could find about making more power with the 3L, since the gearbox is shot in mine I was wondering if the manual swap and then turbo and injector upgrades were a realistic expectation while still driving the car on a daily, reliably and economically. Since there is a lot of conflicting information I'm now wondering if it's just a dream.

I would be aiming for at least 60kW but perfectly around 80. I have some good tuners around me, so the most important question I guess is: can the original engine and the 085 gearbox from the 1.4 handle that power reliably or is there another gearbox I should use for this cause?

Thanks for the help!

On 9/27/2023 at 8:30 PM, Rudis said:

Hey, for the last few weeks I was skimming through all the info I could find about making more power with the 3L, since the gearbox is shot in mine I was wondering if the manual swap and then turbo and injector upgrades were a realistic expectation while still driving the car on a daily, reliably and economically. Since there is a lot of conflicting information I'm now wondering if it's just a dream.

I would be aiming for at least 60kW but perfectly around 80. I have some good tuners around me, so the most important question I guess is: can the original engine and the 085 gearbox from the 1.4 handle that power reliably or is there another gearbox I should use for this cause?

Thanks for the help!

Mine is a 1.4 tdi on a rebuilt gear box and has done 20k miles since a remap which pushed the bhp to between 100 and 110, big miles overall now as it is approaching 180k, but still as fast and as fuel efficient as ever

On 9/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, mk2 said:

Anything is possible with a complete new map/program in the ECU. Reliability will suffer, thats all.

Use the box from a 9n polo tdi :)

Do you by chance know the gearbox number/code?

58 minutes ago, The Penguin said:

Mine is a 1.4 tdi on a rebuilt gear box and has done 20k miles since a remap which pushed the bhp to between 100 and 110, big miles overall now as it is approaching 180k, but still as fast and as fuel efficient as ever

do you think it’s worth going all the way with manual gearbox, turbo, etc…. Or should i just go for a remap and be happy with a couple extra kW?

Before starting anything, make sure you can find someone to change the ECU... If you run a 3L as a manual without changing the ECU software, many people simply leave the gear select connection in N. The car will function, but use lots of fuel and have low power. 

Software first. The rest is easy... 👍🏻 :)

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Before starting anything, make sure you can find someone to change the ECU... If you run a 3L as a manual without changing the ECU software, many people simply leave the gear select connection in N. The car will function, but use lots of fuel and have low power. 

Software first. The rest is easy... 👍🏻 :)

And I’m guessing there are no open source tunes? Either vag-tuning.com or i go to a local tuner and start from scratch?

Correct. There is someone on the German Lupo Club .DE who knows a company that can remap a 3L into full manual mode- so there is a solution already. We don't have 3Ls in the UK, so not much use to us...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 5:44 PM, Rudis said:

Do you by chance know the gearbox number/code?

do you think it’s worth going all the way with manual gearbox, turbo, etc…. Or should i just go for a remap and be happy with a couple extra kW?

I would go for the manual gearbox and a remap, a remap on its own might overwhelm the auto box

• 3 months later...

Hey, so some time had passed. I haven't gotten to the upgrades yet, but my  reverse gear isn't working any more and the rear drums are driving me crazy. I'm now thinking of converting them to discs and I was told that it should be doable with seat cordoba king pin, discs, and mk4 golf calipers. i will try to find a rear frame with discs already on first though :D. And simultaneously start collecting parts for the manual conversion.