5th gear problems

Bigmac

Hi, has anyone come across this problem?  
I have an Arosa tdi with 98k on the clock. When I bought it around 18 months ago, it had been stored in a garage for 12yrs!  After changing many parts and getting it through the MOT, I have done almost 10k in the car. The only problem with it is that once you select 5th gear it doesn’t like to down to 4th, so much so that it will take 3 or 4 attempts and it isn’t slick at all. I must admit, I haven’t checked anything out, I am just asking on here in case someone else has come across this before. 
any help would be appreciated, thanks 

The more usual failure is with the 3rd gear synchro's because that's the gear that gets the biggest hammering but it'll be the same issue, an expensive rebuild unless you don't use the motorway, worth doing though with such a low mileage vehicle because 200k plus miles is very common on these engines

Check oil levels, as they leak. And it might just need a shifter cable adjustment. 

If it still does it after adjusting and fresh oil, it's possible that it needs a new bearing set. Worth doing if you're going to keep the car.

Might also be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you press the clutch. The clutch slave cylinder may need bleeding, which should be done every 3 years as standard (fresh brake fluid).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Check oil levels, as they leak. And it might just need a shifter cable adjustment. 

If it still does it after adjusting and fresh oil, it's possible that it needs a new bearing set. Worth doing if you're going to keep the car.

Might also be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you press the clutch. The clutch slave cylinder may need bleeding, which should be done every 3 years as standard (fresh brake fluid).

Agree exhaust all the options and try changing the gear oil for synthetic is not a bad idea either and far cheaper than a rebuild, the gearboxes in the petrol cars are notorious for this leakage issue

On 4/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, Bigmac said:

once you select 5th gear it doesn’t like to down

I really advice you, once you drain the oil just open rear of gearbox cover (few 5mm screws) and check if your 5th gear is fine. Sounds like you dont have any problems with your gearbox or clutch, except you cant disengage 5th gear. It might be indication that your 5th gear bearing has been melted and it stays sticked to output shaft when you pull back selector shaft. However when I had the problem I was able to drive 5th gear in neutral pretty soon, therefore I think your 5th gear bearing is fine, but its totally worth checking.

If your 5th gear is fine, just close the cover and fill the gearbox with oil. It just takes to remove wheel and plastic wheel arche and you can easily access the gearbox.

I had to change a fifth gear with a chip in a tooth, all I can say is the symptoms were that it popped out every rotation but the passenger could hold it in with their foot.