New Lupo 1.7 SDI Owner

WxmLupo

Hi,

I have been lurking on here a month or so and reading up on the great little car that is the Lupo! I wanted a cheap, reliable and trustworthy car for the commute so getting rid of my Honda Civic Type R (I know bit of a difference in cars haha) and have today purchased a silver, low mileage (54k) 1.7 SDI for £2.5k.

Anyway its in good nick and has service history from 2007 and just 1 scratch on bumper and the strip along the side needs sealing down which will be sorted with the purchase along with MOT and service.

Interestingly it has a black boot door which is a little different, I don't know if this was because of damage or just repainted but I like the look of it looks decent. I am going to get some new alloys for it, where is the best place to get some? Ebay or from here I assume?

Welcome to club lupo!

yeah sounds good, and that really is "very" low milage. Price about right if interior is immaculate. Show us a few pics of your new machine. :)

Here are some photos, just edited out the numberplate as I have not received the car yet - it's getting delivered next sat!

It is getting a service and mot but are there any other things I need to get checked or look out for? The timing belt was done in 2015 (only 7,000 miles done since then), I don't really know much about the insides of the car so don't know how often that needs to be replaced? What about the water pump (is that correct)?

This is my first lupo you so go easy on me haha!

lupo3.jpg

lupo4.jpg

lupo2.jpg

lupo1.jpg

lupo5.jpg

Edited by WxmLupo

Didn't get any photos of the interior, I will take some when I receive the car next weekend. I don't know why the tailgate is black but I quite like it. There is a silver tailgate on ebay for £61 if I want to get the colour of the car back in synch!

Nice, even fitted with front fogs... High 'S' spec, with pop out rear windows. 

Yeah, I'd get that rear tailgate swapped. Doesn't look right. I'm guessing someone reversed the car with the back open while in a garage or during a reverse park? Curious to know why it was swapped. Check that the rear wash & wipe, anti fog and central locking works on it. Check the key is the same as the front doors.

Things to check on SDI. Yeah, you're right- cam belt. Pain to swap, but should be done now as vdub suggest every 3-4 years, so overdue, along with water pump. There's a how to do the SDI cam belt for your mechanics on here somewhere- so they don't mess it up. Leave the fuel filter- they last the life of the car.

Air filter. Tyres. Oil and filter. Gearbox oil (important!). Check the clutch pedal position- should be perfectly level with the brake pedal at rest, as the pedal boxes are a very common failure. If clutch lower than brake pedal, then the pedal box needs replacing with the uprated type. Check leccy windows and central locking (often go wrong).

Once you have it, disable the EGR system, for cleaner emissions and even better economy.

Get two keys as spares are v expensive.

15 hours ago, mk2 said:

Nice, even fitted with front fogs... High 'S' spec, with pop out rear windows. 

Yeah, I'd get that rear tailgate swapped. Doesn't look right. I'm guessing someone reversed the car with the back open while in a garage or during a reverse park? Curious to know why it was swapped. Check that the rear wash & wipe, anti fog and central locking works on it. Check the key is the same as the front doors.

Things to check on SDI. Yeah, you're right- cam belt. Pain to swap, but should be done now as vdub suggest every 3-4 years, so overdue, along with water pump. There's a how to do the SDI cam belt for your mechanics on here somewhere- so they don't mess it up. Leave the fuel filter- they last the life of the car.

Air filter. Tyres. Oil and filter. Gearbox oil (important!). Check the clutch pedal position- should be perfectly level with the brake pedal at rest, as the pedal boxes are a very common failure. If clutch lower than brake pedal, then the pedal box needs replacing with the uprated type. Check leccy windows and central locking (often go wrong).

Once you have it, disable the EGR system, for cleaner emissions and even better economy.

Get two keys as spares are v expensive. 

Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated!

I saw it was the 'S' spec being the highest spec so was really happy with that! Regarding the points you raised: the pop out windows work, it has 2 keys, central locking works and electric windows work. I will check that the rear wash & wipe, anti fog and clutch pedal position when I get it. What do you mean when you say 'Check the key is the same as the front doors.'? Do you mean the key to open the tailgate?

I have seen a rear tailgate on ebay (see link below), do you think this is upto standard? I will confess I am not a mechanic and don't really know much about cars and engines so it may seem like I ask alot of 'dumb' questions so bear with me! If I used the tailgate below can I swap over the badges from the existing tailgate?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailgate-VW-LUPO-1998-2005-Silver/323750778413?hash=item4b610cd62d:g:1yoAAOSwHf5bATek

I will be getting the service history from before 2013 when I take delivery of the car next weekend so I will see of there is anything regarding the tailgate being fitted in the documentation.

Regarding fitting a new cam belt and water pump what kind of price would I be looking at parts wise? Obv I would add labor costs on top.

The air filter, oil filter, fuel filter  and diesel treatment (what is that?) were all done on the last major service in October 2017 where it has only done 3,000 miles since then. There was an interim service which was done in October 2018. Other repairs done since 2013 include: the catalytic, down pipe, CV Boot Kit and wiper linkage and arms done in 2016. New timing belt done in 2015, exhaust gasket in 2014 and finally heater control unit in 2013.

Would the gearbox oil have been done as part of the services?

Finally you say 'disable the EGR system, for cleaner emissions and even better economy', what is EGR?!

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

has the car died?

No idea?! They haven't been on here in almost 9 months. But if the car goes perfectly, hey why waste time chatting!  "Enjoy" is my philosophy. I just love finding out what makes Lupos go wrong though.... 😎

Edited by mk2

2 hours ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

i got mine for £430, has cost me more than that fixing it haha! SDI lyf

luckily thus far all Ive spent is 2 new front tyres (serious camber wear on the inside, one punctured and 3 days later the other came off the rim! luckily I was aware of the camber wear and had ordered them, left my car abandoned at a petrol station overnight and took the 2 wheels home (up on wooden blocks as axle stands) and got the tyres fitted first thing in the morning, and collected it at 9am. the petrol garage were fine with it haha. Aside from that its ran like clockwork for around 5k that ive racked up so far. debating putting a belt and pump on it, just my thinking is the cost of a second hand engine is only around 100 if it did go bang, but ill maybe do it for peace of mind anyway as it had no paperwork when i purchased it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, Stephenmacleod said:

luckily thus far all Ive spent is 2 new front tyres (serious camber wear on the inside, one punctured and 3 days later the other came off the rim! luckily I was aware of the camber wear and had ordered them, left my car abandoned at a petrol station overnight and took the 2 wheels home (up on wooden blocks as axle stands) and got the tyres fitted first thing in the morning, and collected it at 9am. the petrol garage were fine with it haha. Aside from that its ran like clockwork for around 5k that ive racked up so far. debating putting a belt and pump on it, just my thinking is the cost of a second hand engine is only around 100 if it did go bang, but ill maybe do it for peace of mind anyway as it had no paperwork when i purchased it.

I got the garage to do my Cambelt and some pullys. Piece of mind. Doesn’t add value to the car tho haha.