Jump to content
dretsae

Lupo GTI Tailgate Measurement Needed ASAP - PLEASE HELP

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Sorry for this random post and request.  Could someone please provide a height x width x depth measurement of a Lupo GTI tailgate for me as soon as possible?  Lupo's are not common in the US.  This measurement is not possible for me to grab locally.  We are leaving for a holiday in the EU next week.  I need to determine if we will be able fly back (from the EU) with a carefully packaged Lupo GTI tailgate in the hold of the plane and airlines we will be flying.  

Many thanks in advance for the possible help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome - Good to hear more Lupo's have made it across the pond, would love to hear your ones story?

Tailgate size  - In logical Millimetres:  1350 wide, 850 tall and the best I can see depth (its curved)140 to 200 - this excludes the spoiler.

To reduce potential damage - I would recommend removing the spoiler -  it unbolts and should fit elsewhere with in the space or take it on as hand luggage, that should be fun explaining to HLS. Also remove the rear wiper as the shaft passes through the glass.

If you cant take it in the hold, try Orchid Euro ran by Jamie Ore in Pensilvania who should be able to import one for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just bring back any tailgate and drill two holes in it.

I would also use your glass.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, any lupo tailgate will fit like @Rich says. You'll just need the two holes for the spoiler, which you could drill. You'll need to prearrange hold space with the airline before you turn up at the airport, with your "oversize" luggage. It'd be easier to crate it up if you don't want to risk any damage.

Got any pics? Would love to see a Lupo with an American background!

oh and welcome to club lupo :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LR5V said:

Welcome - Good to hear more Lupo's have made it across the pond, would love to hear your ones story?

Tailgate size  - In logical Millimetres:  1350 wide, 850 tall and the best I can see depth (its curved)140 to 200 - this excludes the spoiler.

To reduce potential damage - I would recommend removing the spoiler -  it unbolts and should fit elsewhere with in the space or take it on as hand luggage, that should be fun explaining to HLS. Also remove the rear wiper as the shaft passes through the glass.

If you cant take it in the hold, try Orchid Euro ran by Jamie Ore in Pensilvania who should be able to import one for you.

It is great to meet you @LRV5.  Thanks for going above and beyond with the measurements.  

Solid tip on removing the spoiler, wiper, and wiper motor.    I would assume there is a piece of interior trim that needs to removed to access the bolts that secure the spoiler to the gate?  If so, are just clips securing this trim? Is there also double sided tape that holds the spoiler in place?  I will not have access to tools during this trip and will need to bring them with me.  Other than plastic pry tools, any idea on the size of the bolts attach the spoiler to the gate?  I will plan to bring a ratchet, extension and whatever sockets needed.  I have also never removed a wiper motor from a Lupo or the trim that covers the wiper motor area.  My guess is that it is the same as a other late 90's-mid 2000's VW's and uses a 10mm nuts to secure the wiper motor to the gate Any idea if this is correct? Are there a couple of phillips head screws that secure the trim covering the wiper motor?  I realize there are more than likely clips (on the trim) that need to be prised (pried) loose.  

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I'd just bring back any tailgate and drill two holes in it.

I would also use your glass.

 

Thanks Rich. I should have mentioned this Lupo is a 3L.  I would like to keep the MPG as high as I can with this vehicle.  Using another aluminum tailgate, but with the OEM GTI spoiler is preferred.  It is too bad that the MK2 Arosa gates are not aluminum.  The extended glass and rotating badge release is quite sweet.  

4 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, any lupo tailgate will fit like @Rich says. You'll just need the two holes for the spoiler, which you could drill. You'll need to prearrange hold space with the airline before you turn up at the airport, with your "oversize" luggage. It'd be easier to crate it up if you don't want to risk any damage.

Got any pics? Would love to see a Lupo with an American background!

oh and welcome to club lupo :)

 

Hi @mk2.  Thanks for your hospitality .  Excellent tip.  I thought about this much easier solution as well.  After finding a spoiler, brake light, etc, I then remembered that the early 3L gates are extended at the top.   Unfortunately adding at GTI spoiler to this gate would require lots of customization (to the spoiler) to get everything to look spot on.  I also believe that the 3rd brake light is fitted in the interior of the early 3L gates vs exterior.  Believe me, I would much prefer to find a simpler solution as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afraid I may be bursting your bubble, the Gti hatch is all steel - only front doors, wings and bonnet were Alloy skin.

Cant advise on the tools required, mine was stripped out when I got it - it looks to be just like a Mk4 Golf,  so your suspicion of 10mm socket and a cross head screwdriver will probably be all you need. maybe some fishing line to cut through any foam pad under the spoiler.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang.  You definitely busted my bubble @LR5V :blink:.  Thanks again for the help. I also appreciate you not calling me an idiot for the noob mistake.  No model years for of the Lupo GTI tailgates were aluminum, correct?  

After more research, I also found the links below for spoiler and wiper motor removal:

 

 

Edited by dretsae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pm'd you but also just remembered this.

They're available just no shipping to US. Like someone else said, probably best find someone to import for you. I used to get honda parts from Japan via someone who specialised in buying and shipping whatever was needed, would even bid on auction sites for you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.