1.0 litre engine tune

Rhysgrainger

Hi all 

I have a 1.0 2004 lupo and I was wondering if there are any tuning upgrades I could do to it? I have heard that it isn't worth the time to tune it but I'd like to experiment on the engine. If anyone has any tips or suggestions to the look and/or the engine upgrades.

Cheers

i seen a forum on here the other day about guy asking if it was possible too turbo the 1.0L arosa,i think the lupo uses the same engine how ever im not sure as the engine in mine is from a polo so i'd check there,also checking in at a local tuning shop will get you some info aswell as where too get parts for tuning it

You'd have to throw money at it and it's just cheaper and easier to stick a 1.4 16v in and double the power reliably.

A turbo conversion would be the best route to add power, I'd like to see it done on the 1.0 too.

I would love to see what can be pulled from a 1.0 with good old fashioned tuning methods.

You would need access to a friendly engineer though; unless of course you are skilled enought to do it yourself.

Porting, polishing, lightening...

2 hours ago, Silver! said:

I would love to see what can be pulled from a 1.0 with good old fashioned tuning methods.

You would need access to a friendly engineer though; unless of course you are skilled enought to do it yourself.

Porting, polishing, lightening...

Of those you mentioned, I'd be keen to see how much you could gain by just ripping everything out. A proper gutting though, not one of these half arsed "oh i took the back seats out". I mean, carpets, back seats, boot trim and lining, spare wheel, headlining, everything, absolutely everything.

I've said for a while that you could buy a totally budget 1.0 for next to nothing, sell the parts online for what you bought it for, and then keep the skin and just rag it around :D

Exactly. My 850 and 998 Imps and Mini's were ace fun.

My first Imp; actually Singer Chamois 850cc was proper stripped out and I done some porting and polishing; twim Strombergs, high lift cams and lowered and upgraded suspension from Team Hartwell. Moved it all over to my second a Sunbeam Stilletto 998cc.

My third a Super Imp, got the suspension and cam's, but never got stripped.

The Mini's were actually my sisters, but i used to play with them.

You don't usually see Hillman Imps anymore, although the Mini's are still pretty popular. Too much though imo. That said you can get a later fuel injected one and they've always tempted me.

2 hours ago, Skezza said:

I've said for a while that you could buy a totally budget 1.0 for next to nothing, sell the parts online for what you bought it for, and then keep the skin and just rag it around :D

That was my idea as well, oh how I was wrong. You end up keeping the parts for an age, and get next to nothing for most of it anyway. And, it doesn't make it much quicker! Drove mine with only one seat in before the cage... The difference was very noticeable but it was nothing special..... Engine swap or turbo it!