Help! Oil light flashing

MissSpongebobXD

So basically i got new leads and plugs fitted on my lupo, and drove it home from the garage. the engine got really hot, and my oil light came on, I had to drive around with the heaters on full to cool the engine until i got home. Discovered that the thermostat had gone, got that fixed and hoped that the oil light would go off too. Nope. It came back on a week or so after. Ordered a oil sensor and filter, and had it serviced today, and still the light comes on. It isn't constant, and in the 3 months of owning it, it's come on 4 times.  

Anyone know anything ??? What could it be, the mechanic at the garage said it could be the oil pump. But I don't want to get things fitted if it going to be wasted money and not actually fix the car 

this is my first car, so I'm in love with it and I'd be heartbroken if I had to scrap it!

image.jpeg

The last thing before looking at the oil pump etc is the wiring / connector to the sensor, it can get fatigue and break usually near the hot engine or the connector might be poor contact, so have a look at the wiring to the sensor close to the engine. If it flashes going over bumps then defo look at the wiring / connector. 

After that, you either need to spend some money getting the oil pressure measured by someone (or buy the gauge either hand held or a dash mounted gauge and DIY), that way you will know if you have low oil pressure, the low oil pressure will be worn pump or blocked oil strainer in the sump. Or obviously you could just skip the oil pressure stage and look at changing the pump, but knowing the pressure is low would sure help make that decision.

Does your engine sound different after getting hot? Some people would be tempted to put slightly thicker oil in it and sell it on though....:ph34r:

Edited by Sausage

Hello miss sponge bob, first thing, openair!, second when does it come on? I have been plagued by a flashing oil light on one of mine for ages now, the only thing the main dealer found was a blocked fliter located at the bottom of the engine inside the sump, the filter covers the pipe going to the head. It looks abit like the millennium falcon from star wars, either rinse that out and replace or get a new one. i replaced the sensor for a genuine one, make sure its genuine, check the wiring, checked the clocks, i did everything apart from change this filter because truthfully cba at the moment, its not my daily so its not pressing but when i do the next oil change ill do it. i hope this helps. 

My oil light starts flashing every time I drive the car once it heats up. Been like that for about 6 months, Plenty of oil in the car, had the oil pressure checked which was fine and the switch was checked too. My car has tonnes of electrical issues so for a long time I put it down to that but its far too consistent to be an electrical fault.
Car was off the road for a while so I kind of forget about it but was driving it today for the first time in ages and that stupid oil light is wrecking my head still! I'm going to replace the oil light switch, if that doesn't fix it I'm going to do a flush, again if that doesn't work the sump will be coming off to make sure there is nothing clogging up the oil pick up pipe etc, oil pump will be next then if all that doesn't work.

What oil grade are you using? I've heard this happen with oil that's too thin, it can also happen when you overfill your car with oil.

Might be a partial blockage of the switch, sludge or similar depends on miles, worth bleeding the switch gallery out, fit a T piece and some capilairy tubing on one side and the oil pessure switch on the oher.

Make sure it won't start and turn it over on the starter and see if youget oil from the capiliary then you can either cap it off of fit an oil pressure gauge to be sure your pressures are OK