Window regulators .. Ok I've tried everything ...help!

LexG

Hi all

ive read so many threads on this but now I'm at a loss.

drivers window is dead. I've taken the reg out, greased it plugged it back in.. Nothing .. Only a clicking noise.

tried a new switch.. Nothing.

bought a brand new regulator .. Plugged it in to check before fitting it properly .. Nothing . Again only a clicking noise.. Which leads to think maybe there's nothing wrong with the original and there's another problem.

The passenger one is fine.. Any ideas .. My patience has run out ..!! Ha ha

Cheers

Got a spare regulator (passenger side) which you could use for another test if that's any help? I'm in Chertsey - and my GTI is on the road now! Guess you've tried checking for voltage at the plug?

Copied out page from ELSAWIN. There appears to be a regulator control unit..............if there is one it could be faulty.

Central locking and anti-theft alarm system control unit, front left window regulator control unit,front right window regulator control unit, right window regulator motor
J295 -   Front left window regulator control unit, in driver door
J296 -   Front right window regulator control unit, in front passenger door
J379 -   Central locking and anti-theft alarm system control unit, above relay plate
T10q -   10-pin connector, blue, left A-pillar coupling station
T10v -   10-pin connector, blue, right A-pillar coupling station
T23 -   23-pin connector, green, on central locking control unit
V15 -   Right window regulator motor
   Q9 -   Connection in window regulator wiring harness
   Q48 -   Connection (open), in interior wiring harness
   Q49 -   Connection (closed), in interior wiring harness

Does it make the click noise (like a window fully up does) going up and down? or just one way and nothing the other?

And the old motor and regulator does exactly the same even with no glass in it?

You really need a multimeter for this sort of thing btw...

Yes the motor/switch just makes a quiet click sound.... Up or down.

the new motor/ did the same just a slightly different  click sound ( because it was a different motor .

maybe it could be a wire?

im tempted to just cut my losses and give the thing to my local garage.

Gotta say every aftermarket part I've seen looks so inferior to the original part, the oem part has the winder and cable all enclosed whereas the aftermarket part just has the winder exposed (like a fishing reel) but vw want £237 for a new regulator and I'm not even sure that's the problem.....

yes I think your right I need a multimeter ...?

What part have VW quoted you £237 for?

The reason I ask, I had a new driver's side regulator last July (genuine VW), part number 6E0 837 462B and it was £94-29 excluding VAT part only?

I would hazard a guess that you have got a broken wire in the driver's door loom, based on what was wrong with mine- mine would operate the passenger window down from the driver's side but not back up again, and also the window would close halfway and then suddenly shoot back down- turns out the anti trap in the motor was knackered and it eventually seized, no pattern motors available so had to buy new/genuine.

The driver's side window motor is part number 6X0 959 801B, and was £189-49 excluding VAT part only last July- OUCH....

Have you tried your local VW TPS for parts?

Hope you get it sorted :O)

Martin.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10 February 2016 at 8:24 AM, LexG said:

Cheers, you were right , broken wire in loom, all fixed now.. But the window has some play in it when it's fully up....

Where was the break in the wiring? Inside the door, at the hinge point or under the dash? I have the exact same problem with my passenger window... Just not enough time to explore it properly right now.