Loopy the 1.4

myles983

19 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Is it an ELM327? The generic ones you get off eBay or Amazon? They draw next to no current whatsoever, even when your car is on and it is transmitting data. I mean how much power does it take to transmit textual data via a Bluetooth COM and power a few LED's? When the car is turned off, they draw even less (Bluetooth COM switches off). My girlfriend leaves hers permanently plugged in, for days and even weeks on end.

It could be any number of things, but to suggest it's the OBD2 adapter is a bit like saying "I have bad chest all of the time, but it only really gets nasty and painful when I smoke". Take your OBD2 and plug it into another car, watch and observe as it runs perfectly. Then you'll realize there's something else going on. Your OBD2 adapter is actually telling you (in the photo above) that there are unresolved problems, so it's most certainly a manifestation of a different problem. Fix those issues.

Why is your car doing what it's doing with the OBD2 plugged in? Who knows? Maybe it's an earthing issue (doubt it)? Maybe your alternator is ****ed (doubt it)? Or perhaps your battery (doubt it)? Perhaps your spark plugs or leads are toast and plugging in the OBD2 reduces the power just enough to cause all the issues (on another planet perhaps)? Or perhaps there's a genuine problem with your car and it's telling you why and you should follow, logically, those error codes and fix them?

You've got the information above, coming to the conclusion that your OBD2 adapter, a standardized car instrument is causing your problems is well wide of the mark, trust me on that. Diagnosis is the key here.

So start with your adapter, try it in another car. When that car works fine, with it plugged in, you can tick it off. You'll waste five minutes but it'll put your mind at rest.

Personally, I'd fix those issues above.

New spark plugs, HT leads, scan again, if it's still there then change coil pack. That'll fix your misfire.

Have you actually read the documentation on those error codes? 

P0130:

Oh look, one of the error codes your OBD2 scanner is flagging up literally describes the symptoms your experiencing? Who'da thunk it?

It's not rocket science. There are problems and they need fixing. Aside from anything else your fuel economy is probably through the floor right now and you'll be wearing out your catalytic converter. It sometimes pays to get these things fixed sooner rather than later. If you're not confident about doing it yourself, take it a garage, although all of these are relatively straightforward to fix if you want to do it yourself.

So aside from the fact that you're pretty much calling me a retard, is it not logical to think that since there are only issues when its plugged in, that that's what's causing the issue? I understand what you're saying, totally, and having actually changed the spark plugs and still having issues, i was going to get some new HT leads next week, when i get paid as i dont have the funds right now. I'd just rather ask around before i settle on anything concrete. 

I apologise for being stupid. Instead of running straight to the forums, ill research it myself a little more before hand. 

2 hours ago, myles983 said:

So aside from the fact that you're pretty much calling me a retard, is it not logical to think that since there are only issues when its plugged in, that that's what's causing the issue? I understand what you're saying, totally, and having actually changed the spark plugs and still having issues, i was going to get some new HT leads next week, when i get paid as i dont have the funds right now. I'd just rather ask around before i settle on anything concrete. 

I apologise for being stupid. Instead of running straight to the forums, ill research it myself a little more before hand. 

LOL. I've not called you a retard at all. Far from it, and why would I? I'm trying to help you. I'm just telling you that as someone who understands the automotive electronics and circuitry behind how these little devices work, there's almost no chance that it's causing the issues you describe. If it wasn't me, then I'm sure someone else who equally understands how these devices work and automotive electronics, would have explained that it's most probably not the OBD2 device causing it.

Not really, because the OBD2 device is telling you that there is a problem with your O2 Sensor, and I've linked you to a page that is pretty much describing exactly the symptoms you are experiencing. The thing is, you don't really know for sure that those issues don't exist when it's not plugged in. It just hasn't happened yet. They could be intermittent. Misfires often are. 

So your car cut out when it's plugged in? Coincidence? Maybe, and that is my point mate. You need to diagnose and I mean properly diagnose. If you think it's the OBD2 device, take it to another car and try it in there. Surely you've got a friend or family member with a different car you can try it in. If it's a defective circuit board, a short or bad connection or something inside the device, then you'll experience some sort of issues on other cars, absolutely no doubt about it. Why not starting your car, plugging in the OBD2 and see what happens, and say do it 5 times? Come back with your findings.

However, despite never owning a defective OBD2 device, I'm reasonably certain that if yours was defective, you'd probably end up blowing a fuse before the car began to electrically malfunction. Does your radio go tits up when it's plugged in too? Your radio requires a decent stable power source, so if your radio cuts out or gets interference (use a MW channel) when your OBD2 is plugged in then perhaps you're onto something, if it doesn't, then again, I rest my case.

You have to think logically here (and no, that's not me calling you a retard). I suppose it's hypothetically possible if the OBD2 software was malfunctioning, it could cause some ECU issues, but I'm pretty sure you would be experiencing a bit more than just rough running lol. When cars electrically malfunction, all the relays start going tits up... your central locking starts closing and opening on it's own, etc, and if you don't believe me, try starting your car when the battery is dead and can't provide a stable solid 12v. 

Don't be so thin skinned mate. People are going to ask questions, how else are we going to help you diagnose your issues!!? As well, the main reason I am telling you to be sceptical of the OBD2 adapter being defective and causing these issues, is because in my opinion, it sounds wrong. If you're happy with that as your solution, by all means, don't plug in the adapter and be happy, but don't say I didn't tell you when you find out your cat is ****ed because your cars running rich and you've been pissing away fuel for fun.

27 minutes ago, Skezza said:

LOL. I've not called you a retard at all. Far from it, and why would I? I'm trying to help you. I'm just telling you that as someone who understands the automotive electronics and circuitry behind how these little devices work, there's almost no chance that it's causing the issues you describe. If it wasn't me, then I'm sure someone else who equally understands how these devices work and automotive electronics, would have explained that it's most probably not the OBD2 device causing it.

Not really, because the OBD2 device is telling you that there is a problem with your O2 Sensor, and I've linked you to a page that is pretty much describing exactly the symptoms you are experiencing. The thing is, you don't really know for sure that those issues don't exist when it's not plugged in. It just hasn't happened yet. They could be intermittent. Misfires often are. 

So your car cut out when it's plugged in? Coincidence? Maybe, and that is my point mate. You need to diagnose and I mean properly diagnose. If you think it's the OBD2 device, take it to another car and try it in there. Surely you've got a friend or family member with a different car you can try it in. If it's a defective circuit board, a short or bad connection or something inside the device, then you'll experience some sort of issues on other cars, absolutely no doubt about it. Why not starting your car, plugging in the OBD2 and see what happens, and say do it 5 times? Come back with your findings.

However, despite never owning a defective OBD2 device, I'm reasonably certain that if yours was defective, you'd probably end up blowing a fuse before the car began to electrically malfunction. Does your radio go tits up when it's plugged in too? Your radio requires a decent stable power source, so if your radio cuts out or gets interference (use a MW channel) when your OBD2 is plugged in then perhaps you're onto something, if it doesn't, then again, I rest my case.

You have to think logically here (and no, that's not me calling you a retard). I suppose it's hypothetically possible if the OBD2 software was malfunctioning, it could cause some ECU issues, but I'm pretty sure you would be experiencing a bit more than just rough running lol. When cars electrically malfunction, all the relays start going tits up... your central locking starts closing and opening on it's own, etc, and if you don't believe me, try starting your car when the battery is dead and can't provide a stable solid 12v. 

Don't be so thin skinned mate. People are going to ask questions, how else are we going to help you diagnose your issues!!? As well, the main reason I am telling you to be sceptical of the OBD2 adapter being defective and causing these issues, is because in my opinion, it sounds wrong in my opinion. If you're happy with that as your solution, by all means, don't plug in the adapter and be happy, but don't say I didn't tell you when you find out your cat is ****ed because your cars running rich and you've been pissing away fuel for fun.

I'll be back when I have answers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myles983 said:

I'll be back when I have answers. 

1. Do other cars malfunction with the OBD2 adapter plugged in?
2. Does your car cut out 5 times in a row when plugging in the OBD2 adapter?
3. Does your radio experience interference when you've plugged your OBD2 adapter in? (use a MW channel like 693 or 909)

How often do you drive your car?

26 minutes ago, Skezza said:

1. Do other cars malfunction with the OBD2 adapter plugged in?
2. Does your car cut out 5 times in a row when plugging in the OBD2 adapter?
3. Does your radio experience interference when you've plugged your OBD2 adapter in? (use a MW channel like 693 or 909)

How often do you drive your car?

I drive my car daily to work, about a 10 minute journey. And then driving to the misses' which is about the same distance. Once or twice a month I'll drive to Manchester, and then other times I'll be in the Walsall/Dudley area. So very often 

Question 3: I dont have the radio adapter for my aerial as i never use the radio. The stereo has an aux port and a USB, so im either using my phone or rarely a USB.

I would take your car for a 'spirited' drive. Somewhere further than 10 minutes away. Really try to get it warmed up, up to 70 if possible, but 60 will do. I would then clear those codes using the OBD2 scanner and then see if they come back (for the sensors I mean).

If you don't have a radio adapter, use the AUX Port as they too can pick up electrical interference.

6 minutes ago, Skezza said:

I would take your car for a 'spirited' drive. Somewhere further than 10 minutes away. Really try to get it warmed up, up to 70 if possible, but 60 will do. I would then clear those codes using the OBD2 scanner and then see if they come back (for the sensors I mean).

If you don't have a radio adapter, use the AUX Port as they too can pick up electrical interference.

Ok, ill post the results up later

Edit: whats the significance of the interference when its plugged in?

Edited by myles983

2 hours ago, myles983 said:

Ok, ill post the results up later

Edit: whats the significance of the interference when its plugged in?

Well it'll indicate either that there's an earth issue or the device is transmitting noise.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so.

The night I was meant to test the adapter, I sat my big black ass on my phone, and cracked both the gorilla glass and the LCD. Rendering it useless. Long story short:

I had to wait a couple of weeks to save the money for a new phone, then a couple of days more for it to be delivered. By that time, it was Christmas, and i completely forgot. Stumbled across the adapter whilst cleaning Loopy out, and decided to actually get it done. So last night, i took her for a lengthy drive down the EP and along a short section of the M54. Once she was warmed up, I plugged the adapter in. I set up the Torque app again on my new phone, paired the devices, and let them connect. No issues. I checked the fault codes, and as soon as i pressed the screen to search, she cut out. Restarted, and completed the search, and got this result:

Screenshot_2016-01-10-00-33-12_zpsa2shes

The other fault codes i put up before included a cylinder misfire. I was pleased to see no issues like that this time because I'd changed both the coilpack and HT leads over christmas. 

So, having completed the scan, I cleared the codes, went for another half an hour drive (at this time it was around 12:45am so the roads were relatively free to do some driving on), leaving the scanner in, and then scanned again. No faults. Great :) unplugged the scanner and then drove home.

Whilst parked outside, i plugged it back in, and then requested codes one final time. It cut out again. Restarted her, and then requested them again, and got the same faults. I tried to clear them, but on screen it said the "paired bluetooth device has timed out and can no longer receive commands" or something along those lines. I also noticed this:

IMAG0069_zpsh3anikqv.jpg

Faintly, the Engine managment light is illuminated. I didnt notice this when the faults had been cleared, nor did i notice it before i plugged in the scanner. 

I did notice however that when it was doing any sort of communicating with the device, there was intermittent white noise (had phone plugged into aux) and it increased in volume when trying to clear the codes. 

Im going to plug the scanner back in later on, and also test it in someone elses car to see if it has any effect. Ill post my findings. 

Thanks for reading.

Mylo.

Edit: just gone out in the car, and the engine management light has gone off... not sure why, but ill scan again later when the roads are quieter. 

Edited by myles983

So, coming away from the girlfriends house, loopy seemed a little sluggish. Pulled up in a nearby car park, and plugged the scanner in again. Connected my phone, hit scan for faults, and loopy cut out. Restarted her, finished scanning and the codes are the same ones as yesterday. Tried to clear them again, and got the same "Bluetooth adapter timed out" message as yesterday.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and test the scanner in another car. See what happens. 

Talking to my friend about this issue, he said another way to diagnose the problem with the car would be to use a different kind of ODB2 tool (wired rather than wireless) and see what happens then. 

He bought his handheld scanner in today, and when he scanned for faults, the car continued to run. He checked the fault codes, and they were the same as what mine was reading. Cleared them. No issues either. EML went off to. Unplugged it and the EML came back on, which is to be expected anyway. He was sceptical about the scanner doing what i said it did, and so i showed him. This time, before even scanning, the car cut out. The app indicates when the phone is connected to the adapter, and as soon as this indication came on, it cut out. 

Im going to get the sensors sorted, try the scanner in another car, and then try it with mine to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for reading, more interesting updates on the way soon. 

Myles. 

• 4 weeks later...

So:

Bought a new lambda sensor and have been waiting for decent weather to try and fit it. 

Came to fit it, and the old one will not budge no matter how hard i push at it to turn out of the manifold. 

Anybody got any tips for removing it? I've sprayed WD40 on it and left it for half an hour to try and un-seize it. I came back to it and it still won't budge. There's no room for anything in the engine bay, so any spanner i have long enough to get decent leverage on will not get anywhere ....

Thanks,

Myles. 

Alright, so I managed to get the lambda out.

I was going to chop the old wire off the old sensor, then use a ring spanner and get it off that way, but my dad suggested doing it whilst the engine was still warm.

So i did as he suggested, and it all went well, minus some scratches and burning. Fitted the new lambda and it seems to be running smoother. 

Does anyone know if the EML will turn itself off after a while? if not, ill clear the fault log. 

More updates coming soon. 

Myles. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This afternoon, I thought id strip the front end and fit the new grill and indicator panel I'd bought. 

IMAG0361_zpswnsvt14k.jpg

Unboxed the new one and then fitted it all back on (slightly misaligned in that image, just a temporary position for the picture)

IMAG0362_zpslgbgj8df.jpg

Started to tidy up my tools, and a woman was pulling into the space on the left of Loopy. I moved some of the stuff in the way, and then moved out the way. She drove into the side of Loopy. Literally crawled into it, stopped, then backed away quickly. Its dented the wheel arch, but ive got an arch roller, so i told her it wasnt a worry and that i could fix it myself. 

The comedic timing of me stood appreciating my hard work, packing away, and then having someone slightly ruin it was just... and with the luck ive had recently, i think that was the worst of it. Im going to put the lottery on this weekend i think xD 

Thanks for reading, more updates soon.

Myles.  

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0407_zps0v6eek3y.jpg

This is what was causing my problems....

New clutch, fresh gearbox oil, and a new release bearing sleeve and the clutch is so light I keep slamming my foot to the floor because I'm so used to it being heavy :') 

Edited by myles983
Autocorrect

3 hours ago, FreddyWS said:

Nice, it's like driving a new car after a fresh clutch 

it is indeed. When i first pulled off, i was so used to having to press stupidly hard, i kept stamping in the footwell... Ive had to make a conscious effort to stop and be more gently :wacko:

5 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Very good very good, I prefer maintence threads to modification threads...

I have a few modifications in mind, but nothing major. I mainly want to tidy it up and get it running sweet

4 hours ago, mattarosa said:

I'm done for modifications I think, got some door lock mechanisms to replace and going to device and paint my brakes soon and need to weld my exhaust.

Gotta fit keyless entry and then a few other things and then thats it