Lupo GTI Oil Type

THE_NORTON

Originally, VW recommended Synta which is a 10W40 Semi-synthetic oil. Now they recommend 5W40 Platinum oil which is fully synthetic.

I ran mine on longlife 5W30 for a while and I'm sure that's what lead to my piston rings needing replacement as its too thin.

Originally, VW recommended Synta which is a 10W40 Semi-synthetic oil. Now they recommend 5W40 Platinum oil which is fully synthetic.

I ran mine on longlife 5W30 for a while and I'm sure that's what lead to my piston rings needing replacement as its too thin.

Thanks man that's been a huge help, got my gti 2 days ago and just wanted to have some to top up with but couldn't find any 5W40

5w40 would be alright though?

This keeps coming up maybe we need an oils thread somewhere

Very important not to go too thim, the bearings were designed with a specific fluid in mind, too thin and the fluid flow through the bearings won't be as designed and the bearing surfaces can touch wearing them out much faster.