GTI coming soon

christophertr6

Hi. I'm a member already with a 1.0 Lupo but soon hope to take delivery of a GTI project. Its accident damaged but not too badly. I'll need a wing & bonnet. I am aware that the panels are lighter but I'd like to know a few more specifics. Are the panels aluminium or thinner steel? Is there a thread already somewhere explaining the unique bits on GTI's. Might save be asking lots of newbie dumb questions! Thanks in advance.

The Gti has aluminium doors, bonnet and front wings. The bonnet is obsolete from VW now, but they pop up occasionally on here. The wings are silly money from VW too, nearly £400 each, but again, second hand they can be around £100.

What colour is it? I saw a red Gti on fleabay the other week that needed a n/s wing and a bonnet......

Gtis have a few unique parts to a normal lupo, ie the glass is thinner (same as 3L glass), the battery is in the boot, wider arches, slightly wider track on the front, xenon headlamps, dash pod with analogue clock, all little bits that make a difference. I'm sure someone will come along and add to that list!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I am now in actual possession of a Tornado red GTI with damage. Its not as bad as I had feared but will still need Definitely need the bonnet but could salvage the wing. I need a near side door mirror, but have already acquired a grille & one of the spotlights. Found a couple of broken wires which I have fixed but the A/C compressor does not kick in. Could this be because there is no gas pressure in the system or a simple wiring issue?

I am as we speak installing Elsawin to try & get at the wiring diagrams - but its not as easy as the instructions make out!

I am also trying to trace the previous owner and get hold of the service history/spare keys etc. If anyone recognises the description let me know. It was on eBay with a sliced off bonnet. I'll try to add photos when I can work out how. If I can be of assistance to others let me know.

Its obviously been used in its life, there is evidence of former paint work, but its totally standard as far as I can see. The interior is good and the dash etc has not been mullered. All the standard speakers are still in place and no extra holes anywhere. The wheels are in fair condition with little kerbing. Discs have a good ol' ridge on the edge - wouldn't surprise me if they are the originals. Car shows 71k - but no idea if that's real, but it would be believable with the condition of the car. If you remember the ebay photos it had those god awful Lexus rear lights. I've now nicked the Cambridge ones from my 1.0 and its oh so much better.(Got normal ones for the 1.0 rather than insulting it with the lexus ones) If any one is desperate for the Lexus type leeme know. I wont tell.

Just got to track down a red bonnet now and get the dents beaten out.

• 2 weeks later...