Supercharging Kits

veedubdude

So your going to pay someone to fit a 20vt?? Theres no fun in that.... how will you fit it if something goes wrong?? you must have a large bank balance for that one too! that will cost more than an eaton conversion for sure!

John

Nooo I meant quote for the actual complete engine and box. My Dad can help me fit it when he finds the time, thus me learning whats what, same with the eaton.

I dont know which id prefer to be honest, if im spending a few k I'll want more than 150bhp for sure..

Edited by electricpanda

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo I meant quote for the actual complete engine and box. My Dad can help me fit it when he finds the time, thus me learning whats what, same with the eaton.

I dont know which id prefer to be honest, if im spending a few k I'll want more than 150bhp for sure..

your dad would have to be a very handy guy a 20v will need a lot of homework and a hell of alot of time with the car off the road as you say if your dad can find the time so dont sound like he has a lot to spair

you need to cutout and reweld your engine mounts make a new rear mount then get driveshafts that fit then theres the turbo down pipe to make up then wiring on top its far from an easy job

good luck what ever why you go with your car ;)

Hmmm He is very handy and I dont doubt he could fit it. We'd obviously do proper research before hand.

Time IS a major issue, he's very busy with work. I dunno what I'll do then.. Thanks tho nodster :)

Maybe ill just buy a faster car... I just want a fast lupo, is it too much to ask hahaha :lol:

You obviously havent looked hard enough at it, if you put the charger in there is a 30mm gap or less between the rad and the charger. So there is no space for the boost pipe at all.

Dont think you can get round it because you cant, you need a radiator approx 180mm smaller in length for the pipe to come out. Loosing 180mm is nearly 1/3 of the frontal area of the rad, so you would need a twin core performance radiator to get the same cooling as the gti radiator.

sorry but wen i was going through it just now i just had a wee think and relised lol why a smaller rad!

Right guys, as Ive said to a few people this is still VERY much on the drawing board. Now I know there is definite interest I can start getting prototypes done, and once that is completed I will get a few demo cars on the go.

Do NOT expect this to be ready next month - you're looking at a year minimum.

Im also not saying anymore about the design at this stage.

The plan being a few options will be available - 1.) The full kit which will give you everything to get running apart from the supercharger itself, including detailed instructions for those who want to go the DIY method.

2.)Then the cheaper option of just the bracket itself (to give you a mounted charger with working drivebelt system); for those who might want bigger I/C, standalone management, etc etc.

I'm not quoting costs yet as again this is very rough at the moment.

One way or another I will develop at least one of these kits for myself - if the price ends up too high then so be it, at least I gave it a go! :D

Thanks for all the interest, Ill relaunch this topic when I have significant news. I will try and keep my eye on this thread though :)

• 8 months later...

Yeah andy, i think i know that!!

Im looking at bilding a kit, but it wouldnt be cheap as ive said, A few thousand with ecu most probably, looking to make it with the option of having the emerald unit supplied with a map that should be fairly suitable, Cant use my own car as ive had too much done to the internals for ti to work on another car.

Idealy to save cost it would use a sport radiator, and either a cylindrical charge cooler or custom made intercooler.

It still wouldnt be a straightforward bolt on job as theres so much work that goes in to the conversion. It could never be acheived as one generic kit for all lupo types either.

Its someting i do plan to try and make up. But then still, i couldnt see a DIY kit with cheaper components being made with a standalone ecu unit for less than £3500. Its just not a cheap conversion sadly.

Ive kind of looked at it like this:

Charger - £300

Pipework/Clamps - £300

Radiator - £100 ish

Intercooler - £200

Belt/Brackets/Pulleys - £150

Ecu with map sensor, Wideband unit, TPS and pre supplied map - £1500

Cable throttle conversion - £250

Dump Valve - £50-100

Then it would need mapping time on top of that ofter its been "run in" so thats another £250-300.

Then theres plenty of extras... too many to name, and that whacks the price up really fast.

John

TBH andy i dont mind, as ive done it all myself its nice to remember all the crap i put myself through and seem to have come out the toher side! It just makes people think a bit more realistically when i make a list like this

And some of the extras:

Forged internals: £1800

Reduction Pulley: £100

Raceland mani and cat back: £600

Exhaust Wrap: £50

Fuel Pressure Reg: £120

Oil cooler: £150

Moving TB to pre charger: £300

Engine Rebuild Kit: £400 (a main bearing shell is £26 a set and theres 5 sets)

2 Gauges: £160

Fluids for rebuild: £75

Clutch: £450

Brake Upgrade Girling 60's 280mm: £300

Headwork: £400

And if you add up all those parts.... Approx £7800!!

Edited by CasperGTI

I have half an aircon system........

The other half hasnt made it to the car yet... Which when ive designed that im sure thats a £200 extra i can add to the list!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

lol guys like most of you have said its far more dough than you think... and there's always a good load of stuff that you need extra (typical case)

Prob for the power to price, a progressive nitrous kit would be better. Far enough you got to keep refilling but its far more simple than the charger option.

Plus i cam get some mean discount on the Wizard progressive kits :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

im stilll toying with the idea!

Depends what mood im in when ive saved up a bit of money!

after hearing the chargers at edition38 im thinking of charging it but then again i might wack a 1.8t BAM in there!!!!!

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh decisions lol