Lupo GTI Battery Drain

Hi guys I've got a battery drain on my lupo gti.

Its taking about 2 days to go to a point where there isn't even enough power to operate the central locking or anything. This is also a brand new battery.

Its got an aftermarket H/U (i have switched the live wires so they work correctly) it also has V2 airride fitted with my switch on cable coming from my interior fusebox, the airride doesn't turn on until the ignition is on so i doubt it is that I've also unplugged the manifold and its still gone dead.

i don't know how long this problem has been happening as everyday I've owned the car its driven 70 miles to work and back apart from very recently where I've stopped using it daily so i can't even put it down to a time or modification.

I'm going to get my ammeter on it and start pulling fusses and seeing what I find but id like some ideas of where to start looking first from anyone who's had this problem before.

Cheers
Pat

Your looking for 1 to 1.5 amps to flatten a battery in 2 days,

Is your ignition switch really off ? check the back of the switch, if it is then it's stuff which runs anyway that you need to check.

Radio, Central locking, alarm, engine cooling fan come to mind. There may be more, you need to look at the wiring diagram to see what directly feeds from the battery.

5 hours ago, carrera-gt said:

Your looking for 1 to 1.5 amps to flatten a battery in 2 days,

Is your ignition switch really off ? check the back of the switch, if it is then it's stuff which runs anyway that you need to check.

Radio, Central locking, alarm, engine cooling fan come to mind. There may be more, you need to look at the wiring diagram to see what directly feeds from the battery.

You'll hear the fan and the radio wouldn't switch off. Central locking would only drain if the solenoid was repeatedly firing.

cheers i know how to find one i was just wondering if their were any common ones people have come across thanks for all the help!

• 3 months later...

bringing this back from the dead, i tried to do a battery drain test and found noting unfortunately but the car still drained :(

however this morning i ran the car through vagcom to find an ABS issue and got this coding up (see below) does anyone know how to fix this bad boy?

Address 35: Centr. Locks        Labels: 1C0-962-258-III.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 962 258 AB
   Component: 16 Zentr.Verriegel. 0003  
   Coding: 00016
   Shop #: WSC 01233  
   VCID: 67D7A5450576F51

2 Faults Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30  
            07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
01135 - Interior Monitoring Sensors 
            36-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

i assume the first fault was from when the battery went dead the second is what i think is causing the fault - how do i fix this

• 6 years later...

Hi mate, 

Did you manage to sort this in the end? I am currently having a very similar issue where my battery is draining but i cannot find the drain at all... my battery is new and is pulling 0.1amps as normal but the car will fully drain after about 12-24 hours 

Hoping to find a fix from someone else's issues potentially, any ideas for mine? 

Cheers.

100 mA is a lot. 5-10mA is normal.

Check the alternator. Two of my Lupos have had this problem. One of the diodes inside the alternator became "leaky" allowing power to drain back into it. Disconnect the alternator power out cable at the battery junction (or alternator), and remeasure the power drain. The other way is to disconnect every fuse, one at a time, until you find it. Measure each time.

Let us know if you find it! :)