Project Rally lupo!

cj1

• 3 weeks later...

Went for the MOT this week. Pre-inspection:

o/s/f track rod end excessive play

both wishbone bushes cracked 

hole in exhaust

made a start changing the arms, drivers side was a pain the arse; one bolt wouldn't come out due to the sump being in the way. "Oh if I loosen the subframe slightly on this side it will drop enough to get the bolt free" 

the result: 

Not sure on best way to remove the bolt now. Re-assembled and left back together for now. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Both control arms now changed, new track rod ends on both sides, exhaust welded up, near n/s/r chassis leg welded up... Ready for MOT round 2, almost! Noticed the anti roll bar drop links were also in a sorry state so I've ditched them for now and got two on order. 

There's an arrive and drive type day on at my local race circuit on Sunday so it would be nice to take the car down to that. otherwise next event planned for 9th May; Cetus Stages @ Three Sisters

• 2 weeks later...

Next event 8th May, again @ Three Sisters, Wigan! I did go there last weekend for an arrive and drive day as well just for a bit of practice with the car. Excited for the next one!

Cutting the wheel well away is on the list of things to do, as is fitting a new exhaust! 

New used suspension sourced and acquired! In the process of cleaning it up for getting it on. Although I have to say it was such an experience getting it off the guys car. 

The nut at the top mount of the front right side wasn't coming off at all in a hurry and the piston was just spinning, so in the end I resorted to bending the cup upwards so the whole thing fell out, ha! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 30 April 2016 at 4:20 AM, WRC said:

Do it right by adding powerflex black bushes. I dit this to my track lupo gti car and the changes were very good. Also i will put the engine bush to help the handling 

When funds allow they will be going on! 

Fitted the weitecs today, much better handling... However the 6" springs weren't great. Fitted some 12" 200ft lbs springs which improved things greatly, but still a bit soft. 10" 225ft lbs springs going on later in the week. Turns out the weitec Spring perch takes a weird size of 2 3/8" springs. We machined another adapter and top mount that will accept 2.25" springs. Also going without the helpers. 

39 minutes ago, WRC said:

280 front brakes? or bigger.... ? 

hello from here :)

280mm, I've already upgraded to the GTI 256mm brake setup, so the next logical step for now is to try out the 280mm, as it's only a carrier change. Although I won't be fitting them whilst the current engine is in. 

Nice, I didn't realise you were using a different user name for now! Looking good. When is the next race? 

yeah, i dont know what happened to the last user :) 

i forgot your basis was 1.0 :) i was thinking it was GTI. i did the same upgrade last year and now i am testing different pads. trying to get a set from KAM racing..but no reply..

i have races on 21 and 22 May... but i need exhaust, chip and different wheels geometry...to keep up with them.. my best lap is 7 sec behind the leader's one.. on a 2min lap. which is still great! good luck to you too!

i posted some videos in my thread. 

looking to the other car of yours, i must say, next year i am taking into consideration buying a new GTI Clubsport...btw, have you heard the new FWD record ?

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/breaking-yup-the-golf-gti-clubsport-s-totally-broke-the-fwd-nurburgring-lap-record/

On 7 May 2016 at 1:13 PM, jparkes43 said:

oh no! something broke??

James

How odd.... I thought I'd wrote something with it! Anyway no that's the new AFH engine I have got from a polo... In the process of rebuilding it!

todays rally went well. 37th o/a and 2nd in class! Slight incident running into the back of another Lupo, a 1.4 that we beat!  New suspension set up made the car drive completely differently, loved it! Just need some slicks now....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cleaned the block down as it was all flaking. Gave it a fresh coat of Grey, looks a lot neater, plus will make it easier to spot any leaks if there are any!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 5 May 2016 at 11:07 AM, WRC said:

yeah, i dont know what happened to the last user :) 

i forgot your basis was 1.0 :) i was thinking it was GTI. i did the same upgrade last year and now i am testing different pads. trying to get a set from KAM racing..but no reply..

i have races on 21 and 22 May... but i need exhaust, chip and different wheels geometry...to keep up with them.. my best lap is 7 sec behind the leader's one.. on a 2min lap. which is still great! good luck to you too!

i posted some videos in my thread. 

looking to the other car of yours, i must say, next year i am taking into consideration buying a new GTI Clubsport...btw, have you heard the new FWD record ?

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/breaking-yup-the-golf-gti-clubsport-s-totally-broke-the-fwd-nurburgring-lap-record/

Yes, very impressive! Although for the price of the club sport I'd just got for the R. I love mine! I had a GTI performance pack before it and that was great as well! 

apparently the Clubsport simple (not S) is faster around most tracks than the .:R... the Clubsport S is a bomb. 

the R is a better daytoday car..winter, rain...the 4x4 is wonderful :) i had the S3 and i miss that feeling. 

but check the car's reaction and 0:21 

Edited by WRC

So we've stripped the head of the engine, inlet valves are perfect when cleaned up in the lathe! Exhaust ones are being refaced, along with getting the block skimmed, taking 20 thou off it, which will up the compression ratio. I managed to snap a piston ring also when cleaning it, doh! 

Was hoping this would be done for the weekend, but it doesn't look like it will be. Will most likely be looking at removing spare wheel well and making a new exhaust this weekend instead! 

• Like 1