Project Rally lupo!

cj1

Today lots more progress, tidied all wiring loom, properly wired lights in to come on with the main beam of the car, wired power source for tablet in, cut and reshaped the exhaust as it was melting the fuel tank guard. Made a bracket for a shift light and fitted that on the dashboard in my line of sight. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, mattarosa said:

Tasty! What modifications have you done to it?

It's basically a standard engine - fully stripped and cleaned - just with GSXR600 throttle bodies, short ram pipes, and a 4-2-1 manifold! 

And it's running on DTA S40 management. 

Edited by cj1

On 16 August 2016 at 4:27 PM, mattarosa said:

Very nice, easy enough to install?

Very! Slight spacing difference between the throttle bodies and the intake manifold, but the tubing took up the difference , everything's just fitted on! 

280mm conversion done yesterday... With Mintex M1166 pads on the front. Went and bedded them in as per the instructions and left car overnight for them to "cool as long as possible".

got some M1144 pads to go in the rear. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, mattarosa said:

And how is the braking now? Improved? Do you have drums or discs on the back then?

Massively improved! Such a difference. Think next mod is going to be removing the servo though as it locks up very easily as well! I've got the standard GTI rear brake setup, discs. 

4 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

Intersting, you need 15" wheels don't you?

Yeah, I could fit 14s on just about with the 256mm discs, now with the extra size of the carriers I think only 15" will fit now. 

changed the gearbox over to the original 1.0 FFE gearbox yesterday. Better ratios than the CWX 1.4 16v that was in. Also much less noisy, suspect the one that came with the 14 was on its way out!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so.... started car 82, the car was running absolutely perfect for 10 stages, a lot of grip issues with the rain forcing us onto the road tyres (only had them or slicks), but nothing too major. By SS11 we were in 43rd overall, quite a big improvement on our seeding! 

Went out, and as approaching a chicane hit the brakes, the car locked up and just slid. I should have released the brake but unfortunately just pushed harder on it. Learning experience there.

Damaged wing, front slam panel, headlight. Drivers side control arm where we hit the kerb, and the wheel. 

The video confirms the engine continued to run following the crash, but then cut out when trying to move again. Inspection revealed the cambelt jumped ~6 teeth, resulting in 12 bent valves in total! Been luck there's no piston / cylinder damage. Not entirely sure of cause, auxiliary belt was folded over on itself as well, possible that got caught in the cambelt (Also a learning point, I chose not to run the cambelt cover - it will be on next time!)  going to replace all 16 valves, be back on the road in no time! Next rally planned for 9th October which I'd like to be ready for. 

Also deleting the brake servo, brakes are too sensitive as they are.