Red Oil Light

Faxmaskin

Hi,

Im new on this forum.

I am a happy owner of a Lupo 1.4 2000.

I recently changed the sparkplugs oil and filter to a (syntethic 5w-30)

The car has been working fine for abut 1 month and now when the engine gets hot i get a red flashing oil can.

The Oil level is OK. The engine sounds good. Nothing changes exept for the flashing light.

So i was a bit dumb and drove it anywhy and the light stopt flashing. Next day i drove it for 30min and then the light come on again.

I took the car to work today and the engine still purs like a kitten but today the warninglight come on just after 10min of driving.

I stopped and cheked and all i could find was that the oil pressure sensor was a bit oily. seams to be leaking from the sensor.

I have ordered a new sensor and was going to try changed the oil to a 10w-40 semisyntethic and the sensor tommorow. so i hope that will solve the issue.

But if thats not the case. what could it be? the engine runs fine and when i lift the oil cap when the engine is running i can here and feel it has pressure and i hear the "sucking" sound =)

Best regards

Join the club, been doing it on our lupo for almost 2 years!!

Usually happens after doing 70mph plus, and usually always in the same location going towards my house and over a few speed bumps.

Try changing your oil pressure sender and hopefully you'll be lucky and thats just it. Not for us though :(

Join the club, been doing it on our lupo for almost 2 years!!

Usually happens after doing 70mph plus, and usually always in the same location going towards my house and over a few speed bumps.

Try changing your oil pressure sender and hopefully you'll be lucky and thats just it. Not for us though :(

It happens because the oil gets runny when hot, so the pump has to work harder to achieve the same pressure. Then the sensor clicks on, telling you that the pressure is low. It is because the engine is worn. If you use a thicker grade of oil, like 10-40 and semi synthetic (not pure synthetic), it'll probably stop happening.

Also check your oil level!

Tried thicker oil, not that either.

Pretty sure it's electrics or possible faulty oil pressure sensor but it was a genuine VAG.

If it was truly worn engine, we would of noticed by now, but it still runs nicely

I can see why a thicker oil might have worked but at the same time, I've not read about thicker oil fixing this in the past. Sensor would be the first port of call.

Ok, I've been thinking about all the basics first...

Oil level (not enough)

Oil filter (blocked?)

Sump strainer (clogged?)

Oil pump (worn out- but symptoms would go away at higher revs/cold engine)

Pressure relief valve (stuck open)

Serious seal/gasket failure (so all the oil pours back into the sump)

Sensor (weak spring behind the diaphram)

Casting web crack inside block or head (would be obvious I think)

Electrical fault (making oil light go on- check sensor with a meter)

anything else???? anyone?

Tell you what I done the other day accidentally.

To the left of the engine near the back, there is a thick breather pipe. I was working around there and forgot to put it back on. Had a manky smell coming through the vents on the motorway, but came back and no oil pressure light :/

Might be worth trying it on yours, see if your oil light doesn't come on. If it doesn't then prehaps it's a breather issue?

I'm too lazy to dig deeper, but might buy a new one of these and new breather pipes just in case http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/76581-black-spots-on-my-bootlid/ I don't have the black spots, but i know the breather pipe was full ages ago, so don't know the condition of the oil seperator