Black Spots On My Bootlid

For about the last 6 months or so, my GTI, which is now on 114k miles, has been chucking loads of crap out of the exhaust. Its gets annoying, especially when you clean the car, drive 10 miles or so, and the back is filthy again! Its also been using a bit of oil, so its been costing me to keep her topped-up! Having spoken to several of the VW Tech's at work, and having various theories thrown at me (ie worn piston rings, valve stem seals ect..) I came up with my own theory!

I did have a Halfords BMC copy airfilter fitted, with a modded 1.6 mk4 golf intake pipe onto the throttle body, and the breather pipe extended to enter the intake pipe just above the throttle body. Upon removing the throttle body to clean it out, I discovered that there was a pool of oil in the inlet manifold, and a thick black sludgy build-up on one side of the throttle body. I decided then to put the original VW filter back on to see if it made any difference, which did help, however did not cure!

I did a bit of research on here, and discovered that early Lupo Sports can suffer from the 'black-spot syndrome', and it was down to the oil separator, found on the back of the engine block. So I took off the breather pipe from the unit, and it was full of a mayonnaise-like crap. So I cleaned this out, and again left it for a while.

A week later, still chucking crap out, so I ask a tech at work if he could clean the separator for me, which with the car up in the air, only has four bolts holding it on. He reported to me that it was totally full of that lovely yellowy mayonnaise sludge, and he'd do his best. So all fitted back on, I leave it for a month to see if its any better, which it was at first, but then it slowly started to go back to how it was. So, a new oil separator ordered with a new breather pipe.

I'm happy to report that whilst I still have some of this crap to clear out of the exhaust, after two-days, I have hardly any crap on the bootlid! YAY!

I decided then to take the old oil separator apart to see how it works, and this is what I found!!!

DSC03551.jpg

DSC03552.jpg

DSC03554.jpg

DSC03560.jpg

DSC03558.jpg

DSC03561.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03553.jpg

DSC03557.jpg

Note that this was cleaned out just a MONTH ago!

So, if your car is doing this, it may well be worthwhile changing both the oil separator and the breather pipe and seeing if that helps. IIRC, the separator on the 16v engines is part number 036 103 464 g and retails around £69ish from vw, and a breather pipe varies depending on engine code, but they retail around £30 ish. If your car IS doing this, make sure you keep a very close eye on your oil level, as obviously this can lead to more damage!

Edited by lupogtiboy

those pictures are rancid lol but a good heads up. however there must be a reason elsewhere to cause this in the first place if you already cleaned it and it came back? maybe not, but good info :)

Edited by gucciwah