Aging GTI / TDI buying tips

IDGM

I'm thinking of returning to Lupo ownership after about seven years absence. I'm favouring a GTI and possibly a TDI and would like to know what the aging Lupo now suffers from, the newest cars are approaching 9-10 years old. I know way back when, the 6-speed GTI was the one to go for, but over time things change in terms of long term reliability and ease of maintenance (including availability of parts). But many of the Old Skool CL members have moved on to other vehicles and the "newbies" are picking up our cast offs.

GTI: 5 or 6 speed problems welcome.

TDI: Enlighten me!

With GTis, check the panels. The doors, bonnet, and wings are aluminium.

Also check when the cambelt was done (obvious really). On a GTi. Parts alone about £250 before fitting.

Make sure original parts are included if it is a modified GTi. Trim parts can be pricey.

If you're looking into getting a gti definitely check for all common problems such as door straps, door hinges, rear spoiler for bubbles, gearbox or clutch release bearing problems, electric windows. Make sure that the car isn't spitting oil out as worst case scenario it could be valve stem seals! Depending if the car has been looking after it could be worth looking out for engine mounts/transmission mounts.