what to do with this tapping noise

shellyh24

so, my little 1.4 16v has very loud tappets.... its kinda getting on my nerves because it makes it sound tired and old when i know its better than that.
i have 3 options really, 1) change the tappets but the parts alone are £130ish 2) get a recon cylinder head which ive found for £120 or 3) just leave it alone, its got 89k miles on it, it does good on petrol, and not giving me any problems other than the noise.

what do you think? not sure if its worth doing it as obv its about £200 jobby

thanks

such a shame as yours is lovely Danyutz, how much have you lowered yours by? sitting nice.

i have tried an oil change and filter and is was flushed with an additive to clean it out, the garage done it though so not sure which one they used. he said sometimes it helps, other times it can make it worse but luckily i dont think it did it any harm.

my friend said he changed his tappets in his opel manta and it made the car drive like a new one and he said it was the best thing he ever did. so perhaps it is worth doing.
its sad people think its knackered. i want it to live on forever haha

I've just noticed your female, if you're jailbaity, attractive and single (not that fussed really) I'm always game to fix such things.

Whilst in Kent I could even call in on Nicki.

Had the same issue with my 1.0 too, with that awful diesel-like sound sometimes Turns out that a couple of tappets, in a very bad condition, were making the noise. A couple of them were also blocked, so the camshaft didn't receive enough oil. After a 200 km road, one of them broke down and ruined my camshaft.

Changed 5 of them and the camshaft and the whole noise is gone now. I'd recommend checking them and replace the ones who don't look that good in order to avoid any future problems.

If you can't tell after looking at them, just run your fingers over them and see if you can feel any imperfections on the surface, which should be perfectly plain. Also, since the tappets are hydraulic, see if any of them is blocked.

Sorry if I'm not very clear. My English is not that good when it comes to mechanical terms.

You'd have to be super super jailbaity and incredibly attractive.

I rock a TDI & drive with headphones so it isn't that bad.

I could effectively triple up on the sump removal and poking around. (ultra innuendo)