bigger wheels

WobLupo

If a brought a set of 14 icnh wheels would it make my lupo look better and lower without actally lowering it or is that just a compleatly stupid question? just thinking it will be easier to get a new set of wheels than mess with suspension and coilovers. opinions welcome!

What size wheels do you have on now?

Downsizing from say 15" to 13" wheels would naturally make the car sit lower to the ground (without taking tyre size into account), but the distance between the wheels and arches would increase (arch gap).

Basically - If you want your car lower, a different set of wheels won't really do that.

Rolling diameter of the wheel is roughly the same if you stick with OE tyres sizes;

155\70\13

165\65\13

185\55\14

Even the 205\45\15 tyres of the GTI aren't much bigger.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

So to make it lower, you need to lower it.

I had 175/65 R13 and moved to 195/45 R15 and the car is at the same height - measured. I even put the 13" wheel aside the 15" and it's the same height. So like the boys said, you need to lower it via suspension :)

I had the stock wheels until two weeks ago, 155/70/R13 (yeah, I know...) and the arch gap was huge. I could stick my whole palm there and there was still room for two more fingers. I've switched to alloys, 175/65/R14 and now there's about 4 fingers for the arch gap.

It definitely looks better, but if you want the best look, go for a set of coilovers.

Thank you very much for the help guys! feel very welcomed! got stock alloys on the car at the moment,looks like im going to have to get a set of coilovers, not done loads of car machanics but im not a compleate retard, how hard are they to fit and is it worth doing myself or gettiing a professional to do it, or atleast a machanic mate to give me a hand.

• Like 1

If you haven't done much work on cars, i would recommend getting a garage to do it for you. The facilities make it so much easier and safer. In my case, they took the time to go through every step with me, meaning i would be a lot more confident undertaking jobs like this in the future also leaning how to do it. Plus you should really have it aligned properly after having your collies fitted, to avoid excess tyre wear :)

I had the stock wheels until two weeks ago, 155/70/R13 (yeah, I know...) and the arch gap was huge. I could stick my whole palm there and there was still room for two more fingers. I've switched to alloys, 175/65/R14 and now there's about 4 fingers for the arch gap.

It definitely looks better, but if you want the best look, go for a set of coilovers.

That's because your tyres are over sized. Dia of your "new" tyres is 72.1" as opposed to 69.4" of the originals. That is a massive 2.7"!

In reality, while filling the arch gap, you have actually raised your car aprox' 1.35".

It also puts your speedo out by 3.9% and for breaking efficiency it is not recommended to go over 3%.

Go for 195/45, i know they are more expensive, but it will get you the right fitment on 6.5j

Talking about rim width both 195/45 and 195/50 go/fit the same on 6.5j rim, because tyre is the same width (195) , isn't so? This is just question about touching the arches/rubbing, but as member Buckland shows, it is not a problem.