gti starter motor making a noise

outdoor stevie

2001 Git starter motor makes a coughing sound once it starts I think it's jamming in, starts first time every time just makes this unpleasant noise every time, is there an easy straight forward fix or is it a new starter time cheers for any advice in advance

Stevie

you can usually fix this by taking the starter motor off and lubricating the bendix (the bit that engages with the flywheel). this either works or it doesn't. for a proper fix it's usually a new motor. if you do lubricate it, make sure when you replace the motor that you put it back "dry" ie mop up all the excess oil. geoff

I don't know stevie, but honestly you wouldn't need one, disconnect the battery, remembering to save any radio codes etc. then remove starter, put it in the vice and lubricate the bendix end making sure you pull it in and out a few times to spread the oil. then when it seems to be free put it back in and reconnect everything. simples!! you're only at whitley bay, if you fancy a day out to Hartlepool give me a shout and i'll sort it out for you. geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there Geoffd followed your advice and got the starter about one inch out bolts out etc but it seemed reluctant to want to actually disengage from the body of the engine and I didn't want to push it out any further just in case I wasn't doing it right, should I just give it a hard pull, it seemed to be separate from the solenoid is this right?

Cheers stevie

• 1 year later...

Need to remove anything to get to all the bolts holding the starter motor on?

Just a bracket that holds wires iirc. My only problem was to get the starter out from the bay, not much space to move around.

Anyway i striped mine down, cleaned and lubed. It was silent for a week. :thumbdown:

Did notice that the spring that returns the cog was pretty weak, that combined with some wear on the parts must be the problem.

But now ill just get one from eBay, they are cheap.

Edited by malte

Had a go today, only bolts I need to get off are accessible from the top right? Need to remove anything to get space?

Did everything from above. Not to hard to reach everything, but the bolts was really really tight.