Oops

Coming home from colchester the other night with a few mates, i went round a bend not very quick at all. Mate in his Mk4 gti went round it alot quicker. But i must of slipped on something on the road and the back end kicked out so i braked then the front left wheel smacked into the curb. My steering has gone off centre now! I took both front wheels off the next day and there is no visible damage at all! Could it just need the tracking doing again?

Thanks

:paperbag: I've done something similar, just had the car re tracked and wheels re balanced and not seen much difference since before the bump. Worse case you could have bent a track rod end, wishbone or your rack

Get it tracked up and if that sorts it count your lucky stars!

:paperbag: I've done something similar, just had the car re tracked and wheels re balanced and not seen much difference since before the bump. Worse case you could have bent a track rod end, wishbone or your rack

Get it tracked up and if that sorts it count your lucky stars!

Thats what i will try, did you find out what the problem was?

Thanks

Immediate damage sounds like maybe track rod end. You took them off and put them back on properly and still the same? Sometimes it can jar the wheel nuts out a bit if they're not perfectly tight.

You might want to take it get it balanced and ask if there's any damage they can spot. Hope you haven't damaged your subframe as suggested above, that sounds a horrible thing to fix.

I can't imagine i would of damaged the subframe, i didn't hit the curb very hard. Been to a garage today and they said its impossible to tell without replacing parts because something could be a mm out. I said could it be the track rod ends and they said no because the wheel is tilting in from the top (too much camber)

it's usually the track rod. it is designed to bend when you hit a kerb, a bit like a fuse in an electrical circuit. they're not very expensive from eurocarparts. the damage is usually obvious, put a straight edge such as a ruler up against your track rod, it should be straight. the rest is history as they say. geoff

it's usually the track rod. it is designed to bend when you hit a kerb, a bit like a fuse in an electrical circuit. they're not very expensive from eurocarparts. the damage is usually obvious, put a straight edge such as a ruler up against your track rod, it should be straight. the rest is history as they say. geoff

The bloke said at the garage it wouldn't be the track rod as its tilting in from the top?

hmm ,that sounds more like strut damage. have a look at where the strut bolts to the hub and see if there has been any obvious movement

hmm ,that sounds more like strut damage. have a look at where the strut bolts to the hub and see if there has been any obvious movement

I did have a look and i couldn't see any visible damage at all, no unusual movement either. I said this to the bloke at the garage and he said it sounds like the lower arm. Does this sound right?

How much is it "tilting"? More than normal camber if you're low? Is it more on one side than the other? You need to have a look underneath really to see if theres any damage otherwise anything anyone says is just speculation.

It is tilting in slighty more than the other side, there was already a slight amount of camber but there is defiantly more on the side i hit now. I have had a good look but nothing looks damaged. Will have a better look tomorrow.

thinking about this rationally (which is all I can do at this distance) for it to look in at the top then the bottom arms must have stretched. the only way that this can happen is if either the inner bushes have pulled right out and detatched from the centre bushings(test this with a prybar or a big screwdriver)or, you've loosened the three bolts holding you ball joint in. both of these should be obvious. there is another one which is really drastic is that you've bent your strut. does it go up and down easily without making any creaking/groaning noises? is there any oil where the piston goes into the main body?

thinking about this rationally (which is all I can do at this distance) for it to look in at the top then the bottom arms must have stretched. the only way that this can happen is if either the inner bushes have pulled right out and detatched from the centre bushings(test this with a prybar or a big screwdriver)or, you've loosened the three bolts holding you ball joint in. both of these should be obvious. there is another one which is really drastic is that you've bent your strut. does it go up and down easily without making any creaking/groaning noises? is there any oil where the piston goes into the main body?

I will try all what you have said tomorrow mate, appreciate all your help. I have almost new coilovers so i hope nothing is bent there.

ohh, it will be expensive for you if its been strut bending time but at least with coilies you can buy only the bit that's damaged. many years go we used to run a ford cossie as a road/track car and we put on a very expensive set of coilies. brilliant round the track, but driving it home from the track was always a teeth shattering event, used to be all over the road. still, times have changed (I hope) geoff

I hit a kerb in the snow at less than 10 mph and bent the track rod, the steering wheel did as you described. I was told by a vw techy that they are designed to bend so as not to wreck the rack, it was like a banana when I took it off!!. a word of warning here though, if you intend to change the bottom arms don't buy the really cheap ones. shell out and get good reputable branded ones. we fitted several budget bottom arms and got most of them back. try to get the oe ones if you can. geoff