temp gauge

Hi. I'm having problems with temp gauge in my loop. It's 2001 sport. Takes ages to reach halfway, then when heaters are turned on gauge will drop to between 70-90c. If I drive down a hill gauge will go right down. Level is spot on so hopefully not leaking. If I take expansion bottle cap off there doesn't seem to be much pressure there. Idleing is fine and fan cuts in. Any help wud be great. Thanks

I'd have said the temperature sensor straight away, but then I've not had the issue with the needle dropping when mine failed, but regarding the temp sensor, it has two outputs, one to the ECU and one to the dashboard. The one to the dashboard has a tendency to pack up, but so long as the correct reading is output to the ECU then you won't notice any performance impact on the car. I drove around with a failed temperature sensor for about 3-4 years, but I was able to monitor the temperature through OBD2 and it was fine. I only changed it when the coolant level sensor failed and I felt it was important to check it more regularly. That said it was probably worth changing the thermostat anyway.

£15 fix for coolant temp sensor :) you can get them from eBay. Hope that helps.

Edited by Skezza

New temp sensor and genuine thermostat fitted 2day. Temp gauge goes up normal when idling. Heaters are red hot. Fan cuts in. As soon ad I start to drive temp gauge drops. This is getting annoying now. Am loosing my faith in vw. Please help.

Sounds like a faulty gauge to me, or a fault in the wiring. I have the same issue on my arosa and ive never bothered fixing it. Everything works as it should apart from the gauge which doesnt bother me. I can keep an eye on the temo through a scangauge though

I think you'd have bigger problems from a broken water pump impeller. Surely your car would start overheating as soon as you started moving? If your car is driving fine, then it's not a water pump impeller.

More investigation work 2day. Checked water pump. Which is fine. Temp gauge only seems to drop when driving and using heaters on hot. If it's blowing cold gauge stays at halfway. Coolant pipe. Going to heater matrix is red hot but pipe coming out is cold. Could I have s blocked matrix?

I have this problem too :/

My temperature gauge doesn't rise at all, whether its idling or moving.

I have just bought a thermostat, o-ring and housing from TMS and should be changing that soon. Also gonna buy a coolant temperature sensor and get that changed aswell. I will let you all know if it makes any difference when I do mine.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but when I have the heaters, it doesn't matter if I've been driving 3 minutes or 30, it doesn't heat up, no where near what it should be, colder than luke warm, and it doesn't matter what setting its on...

Any helps guys..

Joe

I have just bought a thermostat, o-ring and housing from TMS and should be changing that soon. Also gonna buy a coolant temperature sensor and get that changed aswell. I will let you all know if it makes any difference when I do mine.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but when I have the heaters, it doesn't matter if I've been driving 3 minutes or 30, it doesn't heat up, no where near what it should be, colder than luke warm, and it doesn't matter what setting its on...

Any helps guys..

Joe

Any helps guys..

Joe

Yours sounds like a classic case of one of the outputs of the coolant temperature sensor failing. Change it, it'll sort it.

The heater issue isn't related. I believe that is to do with the heater resistor.

So I change my thermostat and temp sensors for new ones... Problem solved :) Works perfectly, temperature gauge rises as it should never going above 90, even when pushed. ALSO, the heaters work!! I actually enjoyed warmth driving to my fiancées today haha

when will people start to realise that the temp sender controls everything on a vw engine. my golf auto got fuc**d up by a temp sender. this was after I'd had the box out three times. for the price of them it's always worth trying first. I speak from experience (which is expensive) geoff