Turbo lag on TDi, no fault codes.

I'll be checking my MAF in a few hours and blanking my EGR if I can find the plate I bought a while ago. OIl and coolant are spot on. I noticed it hesitate the other day as I accelerated onto the motorway. Engine was quite cold and stuttered for a split second around 3k RPM (like it missed misfired but just once). I usually take it easy until its warmed up so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Iv'e done alot of searching since I posted this and i'm beginning to think its MAF, EGR or injector related.

I thought about the glow plugs, but don't they only work when you turn the ignition? or do they stay hot until the engine is ar 90 degrees or something?

Why do people blank the EGR :( There is a fault that needs to be fixed not bodged :P

I've always been told you shouldn't blank your EGR as it can cause your engine to overheat???

I've always been told you shouldn't blank your EGR as it can cause your engine to overheat???

Lol!!! Who told you that? Some people say well you need the egr to mix in so there is less oxygen in the cylinder so less bang and heat. They are silly silly people IMO. All it does it gunk up sludge and grime up the engine. Reduce performance add heat and used air and it's something that can break. No thanks. I've been blanking them off for years on many diesels had no problem once on a diesel.

Lol!!! Who told you that? Some people say well you need the egr to mix in so there is less oxygen in the cylinder so less bang and heat. They are silly silly people IMO. All it does it gunk up sludge and grime up the engine. Reduce performance add heat and used air and it's something that can break. No thanks. I've been blanking them off for years on many diesels had no problem once on a diesel.

and it doesn't effect economy?

Well I didn't find the plate to blank my EGR and I came across a jubilee type clip which I couldn't remove for the MAF. Why my toolbox has no pliars is ridiculous! I ordered some BG244k to see if that helps. I'll keep you posted on that one. Should be arriving today.

I did have a look at the EGR too, have any of you removed one from the 1.4Tdi? The bolts are in hard to reach places. I have no time to do it this week so I could do with some research on my dinner breaks.

Regarding the EGR, I think I remember one or two accounts of blown cylinder heads which were blamed on blanked EGR's or deleted EGR's.

Personally I can only see benefits except increased fuel consumption due to the engine heating slower than usual. But after it's warmed up fuel economy increases.

I put a blanking plate on my tdi, soon took it off as it was taking an age to warm up.

And tbh my car had done 180k when I cleaned the mani and EGR out and it wasn't too bad and performance gains were minimal if atall so iv not put it back in.

Next time you drive the car, unplug the maf, if it drives better there's a good chance it's that at fault.

I put a blanking plate on my tdi, soon took it off as it was taking an age to warm up.

And tbh my car had done 180k when I cleaned the mani and EGR out and it wasn't too bad and performance gains were minimal if atall so iv not put it back in.

Next time you drive the car, unplug the maf, if it drives better there's a good chance it's that at fault.

I've always found the opposite true. These diesels take ages to heat up anyway but it's always up to temp before the dual carriage way. Is your remapped?

Did you look in the inlet manifold though?

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. I have noticed a fuel leak from the fuel filter. I think the original clips which clamp the hoses are a little corroded. I'm going to get new jubilee clips for the hose and see if that helps. If not I think i'll put it down to the BG244k. Maybe it cleaned the fuel lines a bit tooooo well and removed some deposits which were necessary to the integrity of the connections :/