1.3 polo engine conversion?

BenStanden

Hey guys,

In the future I was planning to convert my engine to something more powerful than my IL and was wondering if a 1.3 polo engine would fit and the get a supercharger for it, anyone done this or know if it works? and if it's a straight swap?

• Like 2

You'd need to get a G40 engine you can't just supercharge a normal 1.3 it'll get eaten. The 6n2 GTI 1.6 engine will fit on your existing mounts, probably one of the easier engine conversions but still a ballache sorting the loom & everything out. Your best bet's probably a Lupo/Arosa sport engine. Or buy a sport. I'd love to see a G40 conversion though.

G40 is different mounts. Will go straight into an early 1.3 CL 6N, but not the later 1.4 (which have the same mounts as Lupo).

Speaking from experience, the 1.3 engine is an absolute dog. Go for the 1.4 16v, a much sweeter package.

If you want different, I saw a trio of mk1 Golfs (all done by same guy) with modern TDi engines in. They were sweet.

Edited by Karl_Mac_

Yeah guess I'll have to go for a lupo 1.4 but then put a supercharger on it for a bit more kick.

If you want different, turbocharge the 1.7 SDI engine. Engine will be cheap, straight onto mounts, keep donor loom, thwacking great turbo. Job jobbed.

Yeah guess I'll have to go for a lupo 1.4 but then put a supercharger on it for a bit more kick.

You do realise it isn't as easy as just bolting on a charger and then turning the car over, brackets have to be made, pulleys have to be made, pulley sizes have to be calculated, standard engines don't like boost so compression may have to be changed as well as a remap if the engine is ecu controlled, if it's carb depending on the type some wont work with pressure so you would have to change over to a carb set up from say a 5 turbo

Etc

Etc

Etc

Pipe dreams

Edited by scotty_82
  • Like 1

there is a G40 lupo on here. runs and drives. quite cool actually. another 1.3 engine is a bit pointles..

Yeah I thought I saw someone was building one a while back, it's running then?

the red G40 lupo's mine :tongueout: i personally know of one other. im not 100% sure where shes at with her conversion. i believe were both having issue's with finding a sufficient fuel pump as the lupo fuel pump is completely different setup. iirc, the lupo pump is internal and the g40 pump is external, they also have different flow rates. i've been through 2 g40 pumps so far, and havent yet figured out why. and unfortunately i'm not on youtube.

SAM_0344.jpg

th_LupoG40-1.jpg

i keep saying it, but i WILL eventually make new videos! :swerve: