A few problems

Hi guys,

Finally got an Arosa tdi. It's a red 03 plate 1.4 tdi. Its got some rust and a few problems but other than that its ok I suppose.

Here are my problems :

1. Passenger sides check strap is gone. Not even there lol. So where do I get a new one?

1a. Also the guide on here pictures are gone is there any more guides?

2. My gearstick is a little vague and shaky doesnt feel good. Gearbox is good though. Most likely gear linkage need tightened?

2a. Is there any bushes or anything I can replace for a more positive feeling gear shift?

3. Brakes feel a little vague they work but not much feel. Is that normal on the tdi? I will be bleeding the brakes soon.

Saying all that when I drove it I thought oh its pretty slugish but its cheap to run. Once it warmed up fully its a different car! Nippy and 100% happy and comfortable on the dual carrigeway!

Hi guys,

Finally got an Arosa tdi. It's a red 03 plate 1.4 tdi. Its got some rust and a few problems but other than that its ok I suppose.

Here are my problems :

1. Passenger sides check strap is gone. Not even there lol. So where do I get a new one?

1a. Also the guide on here pictures are gone is there any more guides?

2. My gearstick is a little vague and shaky doesnt feel good. Gearbox is good though. Most likely gear linkage need tightened?

2a. Is there any bushes or anything I can replace for a more positive feeling gear shift?

3. Brakes feel a little vague they work but not much feel. Is that normal on the tdi? I will be bleeding the brakes soon.

Saying all that when I drove it I thought oh its pretty slugish but its cheap to run. Once it warmed up fully its a different car! Nippy and 100% happy and comfortable on the dual carrigeway!

1. When you say it's gone, you don't mean it's just cracking? Does the door actually blow in the wind? If you go to ebay, you can get them for about 40 quid a pair, probably check a scrappy for one. If it's cracking, it's fixable.

1a. Guide with regards to fixing or replacing?

2. Not sure. You need to be more descriptive. When you say vague?

2a. Same as above.

3. Same as above.

How much did you pay for it? Did they knock you off anything for the check strap etc?

I think he means the check strap isn't there at all. Some folk take them out to get the doors open really wide for shows.

+1 its gone. The car isn't modded or it doesnt look to be.

1. When you say it's gone, you don't mean it's just cracking? Does the door actually blow in the wind? If you go to ebay, you can get them for about 40 quid a pair, probably check a scrappy for one. If it's cracking, it's fixable.

1a. Guide with regards to fixing or replacing?

2. Not sure. You need to be more descriptive. When you say vague?

2a. Same as above.

3. Same as above.

How much did you pay for it? Did they knock you off anything for the check strap etc?

1. Replacing if you have one.

2. Its like its wobbly and your not sure if its going to go into 2nd or 4th its not a good feeling. Its like stirring porridge with a sausage :lol: Its not tight?

3. Its spongyish but was wondering if this is normal on the tdi. I might stick on some ibiza cupra calipers like I did on my old sport.

I got it for 1.5k, TBH I know its not cheap but it was close to me and the owner seemed nice. Its an 03 with 85k miles.About 90% of the other lupo/arosa's I looked at where very far away (travelling costs) or accident damaged or super high miles.

The gearbox issue sounds like something a mate had on his mk2 golf, he had to replace a ball joint in the linkage somewhere. Dunno if this helps. I do have a check strap you can have somewhere though.

my tdi has the exact same gear problem, very interested in seeing how you fix this

Hmm. Can you explain the problem better than me? If I hadn't seen the problem my description of what it is isn't very good lol.

Edited by Daood

mk2 bushes wear becuase they get old, mine feels alright after 190k but i bet they have bee changed at somepoint.

my Lupo SDI did feel a bit vauge and so did the 1.0 i test drove i think its just the way the lingages are designed, theres lots of joints which give lots of play!

TDI's have a different gearbox to other lupos so i have no idea on that part, just giving my 3 pence.

Also have you ever driven a Diesel before?

their brakes are never as sharp as a petrol as the Pressure for the brake booster on a diesel is driven off the crankshaft, where as on a petrol its from intake manifold pressure. becuase of this, the Vacum pipes are longer and also would never get the pressure of the petrol intake manifold from a vac pump running at low revs.

lupos are also prone to spliting those vacum lines, on the brake servo (Big black thing behind where the brake fluid res is) there should be a thick black pipe coming off and going around the back of the engine, follow that to where it goes into the Vacum pump, when the cars funning check its not hissing, if it is its leaking!

also rear disks are meant to help!

and a checkup on the brakes is always a good idea!

enjoy your Tractor.

• Like 1

Which bushes are they mate?

I thought as much as if you move it in a certain way its like it starts shaking. Will check it out when I give it an oil change.

I drive/drove quite a few diesels tbh the brakes are never as funny feeling as this but its good to know they will never be the same as the petrol etc. Will maybe bleed it just incase.

WIll give that a check aswell. I'm hoping to give the inlet a clean and block the egr so will do that then.

I'm not sure I could be bothered changing an axle :lol:

Cheers mate. Its not as tractorish as my old 106 1.5 non turbo tud5 :lol:

All around the Linkages there should be Nylon bushes, like a Ball at the base of the shifter and then others throughout the system, im not familiar with the TDI linkages sorry!

lots of people say that are soft and spongey, if everything is all gravy its just the set up with servo etc and how its ment to be!

mmm i like tractors.

Well something for me to look into thanks.

I think they are ok but there is little "feel" to them. Will double check incase.

Its on some crappy budget tyres atm so I know that doesn't help but handling and body roll is comical. I did some dry steering and I thought it was going to tip :lol: It doesn't matter as even though its super high the ride is nice so don't want to ruin that.

Its working out cheap to run ATM insurance is £192!

mine is very stiff into 4th and second on the way down gears, gears work great on the way up. tried to adjusting the linkages following a guide on youtube with no avail.

You don't have a video or a link to it do you?