Manual fan switch has been fitted

So I've just recently bought a lupo 1.4s. The fan is connected to a manual switch on the dash and I was wondering what the problem is for the previous owner to have done this? I was told by the bloke in the garage that the switch was for a "sound system or something". I didn't realise it was for the fan until the day after buying it when the battery was dead as I'd accidentally left it on over night.

I've seen a few cars with these on. I cannot think for the life of me why you would install a switch on the fan, but perhaps the sensor had broken or something. No idea, but more and more cars seem to have switch controlled fans?????

I've seen a few cars with these on. I cannot think for the life of me why you would install a switch on the fan, but perhaps the sensor had broken or something. No idea, but more and more cars seem to have switch controlled fans?????

I know, it's mad! So it could be the thermostat? Or do you mean a different censor?

I know, it's mad! So it could be the thermostat? Or do you mean a different censor?

I thought the fan had an independent sensor? It might not, it might be controlled by the thermostat.

Fan has its own temp sensor on the bottom of the rad I think.

I doubt anyone would fit an override switch due to that breaking - it would be cheaper to replace the sensor!

Has the car previously been modified?

Fan has its own temp sensor on the bottom of the rad I think.

I doubt anyone would fit an override switch due to that breaking - it would be cheaper to replace the sensor!

Has the car previously been modified?

That's what I thought. Unless they didn't know it was there?

Since I asked this the fans gone mental, I flicked the switch and it started screaming! Any ideas? Or would it be best to replace the fan and all the sensors?

As for modifications the only one I know of was a sub in the boot cus there's a massive hole cut out of the boot floor :/

Screaming fan sounds like the motor bearings are finished, probably as a result of you leaving it on overnight.

Fans are cheap enough to replace, around £40 if memory serves me correctly.

To be honest, I would just fit a new working fan and scrap the switch. Why the **** would anyone have their fan on a switch anyway?