VW Lupo sport track project - Roll cage now in!

st10587

Damn that's a long time, what cage did you order?

i have gone with the custom cages CL2 with addition bar for harness mount. Its only a half cage, but it is a proper weld in cage not a show cage. After many long discussion with various roll cage makers they all advise against full cages if your likely to drive the car without a helmet. This is because of a massively heighten chance of serious head injury at low speed accident due to you not wearing a helmet on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

right small update..... was at Brands Hatch yesterday for a track evening. The Lupo did surprisingly well and was only lagging on straight line speed, which to be honest is expected. It once again surprised people at how nippy it was in the corners and if it wasn't for Brands strict overtaking rules i would have made better progress. At Brand they have a strict no overtaking in corners and a strict only overtake on the left if the car in front invite you to do so..... this rule was proving a problem as people would not move over and led to me getting black flagged in the first session for over taking to cars on the right :angry2:

After a stern ticking off from the marshal's i was back out like a jack russell biting at the heals of the bigger more powerful cars! Although overtakes were few then i would have liked, it was stil a good crack.

untitled-2.jpg

untitled1-2.jpg

untitled2-2.jpg

untitled3-2.jpg

untitled4-2.jpg

untitled5-2.jpg

untitled7-2.jpg

untitled9-2.jpg

untitled12-2.jpg

untitled13-1.jpg

untitled14-1.jpg

untitled15-1.jpg

untitled16-1.jpg

untitled17-1.jpg

untitled18-1.jpg

untitled19.jpg

untitled20.jpg

well the update stands as the cage did not fit due to a small bending error from custom cages. they have rectified the main hoop and it will be going in this Saturday instead!

on the plus side had a good few sessions down at the BHP show at Lydden hill on Monday. The little lupo got a fair amount of attention as it scamper round the track like a terrier!

untitled23.jpg

untitled22.jpg

untitled21.jpg

untitled20.jpg

untitled19.jpg

untitled18.jpg

untitled17.jpg

untitled16.jpg

untitled15.jpg

untitled14.jpg

untitled13.jpg

untitled12.jpg

untitled11.jpg

untitled10.jpg

untitled9.jpg

untitled8.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled6.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled1.jpg

untitled.jpg

Edited by st10587

Ok so attempt 2 of fitting the roll cage happened on Saturday and good news its in!!!

Took some messing about to make it fit, but we got there in the end.

934837_10151387962891196_1512076800_n.jp

392995_10151387962621196_474127824_n.jpg

After a coat of paint

178949_10151388979426196_1592676173_n.jp

182553_10151388979221196_1686266029_n.jp

Also got board so made a camera mount out of and old tow-bar socket plate had kicking around.

945515_10151389721426196_1861323928_n.jp

This is now on the harness bar. Quicker test run with my old point and shoot, results not to bad considering its a bumper, potholed lane.

Edited by st10587

looking good glad to see you have the harness bar in :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::clap: :clap: :clap:

is it a full cage or just rear bar?

the harness bar was always on the plans just took longer then expected to get sorted. Its only a half cage, so b pillar back. It is a proper cage though not a show cage

• 2 weeks later...
Right been slacking with the update....... Was at Lydden last weekend for the Apex festival. Once again the Lupo held its own against much bigger and powerful cars and was great fun. 1st couple of sessions went without a hitch the 3rd session had a slight hick up as i span coming out of the dog leg! The tyres had gone off as the 2nd and 3rd session were back to back. Other then that was a great day! heres some videos of the sessions. Will upload pics when i have them from my friend

Haha thats a friend of mine. im pretty much that cars personal mechanic! it running about 220bhp and 380lbft! full hybrid turbo with race internals plus all the extras lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...