SDI and TDI economy - stats and improvements

Hello,

Just leading on from my other recent post where I have chipped my SDI.

I am looking to get some stats about mpg from the SDI and TDI Lupos, I know tdi is better yad yad.

I would like any one who knows thier mpg to post it here please with type of driving and style - ie I have a tdi/sdi/3L and around town, going easy I get XXmpg or ragging it all the time I get XXmpg I have done this to my car.... I use fulley.com https://www.fuelly.com/driver/otherpower/lupo to keep an eye on mine and in doing so it records it for others to see so maybe a good place to register.

I would also like to here what you have done to help improve mpg? My list so far includes:

• Clean inlet mainifold from crud:

• Pumped tyres up - 42psi rear 40psi front.
  • Removed trumpets from inlet box - rueduces power but increase booming dron of the engine!
  • Stuck in some Redex to clean injectors.
  • Installed re mapped chip taking from 60ps to 70ps - increased torque.
  • Installed an Ultra Gauge http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm to see % throttle, actual RPM and speed rather than the clusters guess.

Things I would like to do:

• Fully synthertic oil change
  • Make engine under tray smother
  • Make front grill smother
  • Put back the originial 13" wheels as the tyres on these are narrower and cheaper to buy.

Would be great if any one with a derv can post here please.

Cheers

Jon

My tdi is completely standard with regards the engine. Got soft compound 195 tyres on though. Only thing I did last year was clean out the EGR valve, but that did sod all. I mostly do a mix of motorway and town but usually in rush hour. I drive like miss daisy, i.e. 3k limit, try to keep it off boost, change up as soon as possible, coast where possible (in gear ideally) and stick to 60 on motorway. I get 70mpg. I've been wanting to do a decent motorway run at 60 to see if I can get 500 miles out of a tank. Only managed 480 before I lose my bottle and fill up.

Im getting 650 out of my mk4 gttdi and 410-440 in my loopie Sdi... Iv removed the airbox gubbings and fitted a cda intake to help it breath better, also cleaned inlet and run some wynns injector cleaner through it every 5th tankfull, seems I regularly see over 400 to 40 quid

• Removed trumpets from inlet box - rueduces power but increase booming dron of the engine!

I thought you got a gain in bhp from removing the inlet trumpets, as it allows the engine to rev more freely.

I have a K&N Air filter fitted in place of the normal, and that seems to give it a little more poke too. I'm running 10w40 oil at the moment, though that will be changed to 5w30 come the new year when I do all the filters (regular service does help mpg). I seem to average 380miles from a tank -about 62mpg, though If it's a pure motorway run that'll go easily over the 400miles mark -sitting at around 60mph returns 70mpg. At worse, stop-start around town, it'll be around the 340miles/55mpg. It would be good if the SDI had the little mpg read out the MK4 GTTDI has, which at the moment (for a 14 year old car) still averages 50-55mpg on normal runs.

In terms of aerodynamics, the mudguards make no -if they do it's insignificant -difference. I have a 3L front that for lack of time has been waiting to go on, and that'll be interesting to see what the reduced drag does to the MPG. Supposedly taping up the standard grill gets rid of a bit of drag too.

This thread has good pointers for getting decent MPG

And this thread also has some goood info kicking about, including a proper SDI remap. -trumpets removed, no aftermarket air filter, but bhp/torque same as a 3L.

I'm also running G60 steels with 15/45/195 rubber at 34psi. Was actually looking at the 3L's Mag 14" 4.5wide for winters, they would up the MPG too. I have a set of 13"s with winter tyres that do up the mpg when on.

Edited by Hazy

Sorry, removing trumpts increase power and increase the boom/drone of the engine. I think my thermosst needs changing, the gauge sits under just under half way and my ultra guage says 75 degrees C most of the time. I think the thermostat is ment to open at 87 degree c, that will make a big difference I bet!

One of the best things I've bought is a scangauge.

It will improve your driving when it comes to mpg no end!

Also reads error codes and you can mount it in a blanking plate under the radio for a clean install as i have.

Takes the guessing out of it and you can get all sad getting the most mpg when not hammering the little turbo :thumbup:

Hazy, do you think the difference in the cost between 10W40 and 5W30 will be saved in improved economy?

What do you think to engine flush when changing the oil?

Jon

I only buy (decent) Oil when it's on the cheap, and when I bought the Castrol 5w30 it was cheaper than the 10w40 by some margin. The SDI engine is never going to be smokin hot, and the idea of it warming up faster -especially on short journeys -with the 5w30 should up MPG.

Never really bothered with Engine Flush to be honest, every car I've owned has been regularly serviced (or had a similar history of being), and unless that's the case with a car you don't know the history of, I don't see the reason to use it. I'd probably only use it in that latter case, especially if somebody hasn't serviced regularly and cooked the engine without topping up the oil.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the last tank is in, 347 miles ~ 55mpg, still nothing to write home about. I must get my thermostat done though as temperature is sitting at 75.

The chip is helping out, I am feeling safer in the car. Looking at my dash cam videos, in third I am almost flying with the increase in power :thumbsup:

Going to set the laptop and VCDS up tomorrow and see if I can work out best speed VS economy for the car.

I would like to put steelies on but all the tyres are good on my alloys and I would have to save a lot of fuel to make my money back.

Ill keep up dating this with my tank mpg.

Cheers

Jon

• 2 weeks later...