Gearbox Cap Missing?

maxw

Hi

I've just been changing my coolant temp sensor & while doing it i noticed it looked like there was a plastic bolt or bung missing from the top of the gearbox.

Here's a picture:

2uysin6.jpg

So should there be something in there? will it be running short on oil etc?

Sorry if it's a obvious thing!

Thanks

Dealers want £7.60 upfront to order it in, and TPS want the same but can pay when I pick it up.

Just waiting to hear back from lupoboz now. As both VW and TPS are 20 miles away (opposite directions) so it'll cost me a bit in petrol!

This was my first post over 6 years ago! There is a black plastic plug that goes in, it's normally attached to the Hex socket on a thin bit of plastic (a bit like how the fuel filler car is attached to the fuel filler).

I'm sure I can see it on your picture though! It's just above and slightly to the left of the hex nut. Just need to pop it back in.

• Like 1

This was my first post over 6 years ago! There is a black plastic plug that goes in, it's normally attached to the Hex socket on a thin bit of plastic (a bit like how the fuel filler car is attached to the fuel filler).

I'm sure I can see it on your picture though! It's just above and slightly to the left of the hex nut. Just need to pop it back in.

Ah I see what you mean, just in the top left of the photo! I'll have a look after work when the engine has cooled down, fingers crossed as it'll have saved me a tenner!

Cheers

• 9 months later...

I am starting to have gear box problems.

1.4 Lupo 2001

Trouble and jumping out of 1st, 3rd and reverse. Appears to travel more to these gears rather than 2nd and 4th.

Any adjustments I can make.

I have noticed the cap has been missing off mine for about 3 years (don't ask).

Is it worth me draining and refilling my gear box oil?? If so, where is the drain cap?

And is it 2.6 litres of "special oil" and where can I get this special oil from (Part number?)

Thanks in advance.

:)

Changing the oil is straightforward, there's a good "How to" here:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/78608-how-to-guide-how-to-change-gearbox-oil-on-14s/

Add a decent additive to it while you're at it... Lucas Oils have a great product which I've used for about 20 years:

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/store_item.php?product=10001

Edited by NornIron