what to look for on higher mileage tdi

ditchyboy

HI,

basically like the title suggests i just want to know what to look for on tdi's with 90,000 and up to 150,000.

Is it essential to have vw service history or are the engines pretty strong regardless of service intervals and where it has been serviced?

at what mileage does the clutch and exhaust tend to go?

Any pointers, hints and tips greatfully appreciated.

Michael

id say, a consistent 10k service regime is pretty important. doesn't have to be VW history.

clutch and exhaust vary.

id consider the condition of the turbocharger too

+1

Ive got a high mileage TDI (well average)... A green one in the classifieds, and have had a few prior to this. A service history is a must regardless of mileage... I owned a black 2002 tdi on 74k, and it only had a few services in the book, and didnt drive as good as the one im running around in now, that nearly has double the mileage.

Oil changes are a must, to keep the turbo in good condition, as well as the engine... And as james says, check the turbo boosts fine, and doesnt lean off before it should.

Check for black smoke when on the boost.

As for exhaust and clutch, there really isnt a set time as with any car. Depends how they have been driven, and if they need changing etc.

Good luck hunting for one! Their rare, although a bit easier to find than a 3L lol... Wish i could keep mine, but ive just had an offer accepted on a house, so its got to go in exchange for a clapped out van :swerve:

Another vote for regular 10k mile oil services. Mileage is not really an issue if these cars are well serviced. If the car has done 150k miles of mostly motorway driving, the clutch is unlikely to be worn. A car that has done 50k miles of town/city driving may be on its second or even third clutch.

I high miler may have also been subjected to fewer cold starts than a low mileage city car. Again, blasting around on a few long journeys does a lot more good to an engine, rather than heaps of short trips all done on cold oil. I have seen a low mileage car (~30k miles in 12 years) with what resembled a jar of Hellmans dumped inside the cam cover, purely from where the oil had never got hot enough to burn off moisture inside the engine.

Mileage means nothing really, condition of the car and regular servicing is everything.

I've got one on 123.

since 100k I've had to do the clutch, exhaust, cambelt, oil and filter four times, the sump twice, all four suspension, the head gasket, wishbones, ball joints, track rod ends and two sets of the same wheels.

I've just cleaned out all the boost pipes and manifolds this week. The inlet was especially filthy.