Stupid Question; Are square numberplates legal?

Marts

Checked on direct.gov, can't see any rules on shape of plates only size, spacing etc of the letters. It's looking good but you're best ringing the DVLA to check. We had a member fined recently for having pressed plates even though the plates themselves conformed to all the regulations, so bear in mind you might still get pulled by coppers who don't know the law as well as they should - just have the relevant regulations in the car so you can give them a little read & politely tell them to **** off.

I've looked into it and i'm prertty sure they're legal, I messured it up they're 11" x 8" it looks like they would be a bit big but If you drilled them, should be fine, I thought it may look good as it's different, does anyone have any pictures of what it would look like?

Hi mate I have square plates on my other car & not on my Lupo, they do look pretty good & to be honest there's not many cars about that have square plates!

9E61DF7E-DAAF-4585-9376-B6AB71D7D52D-5195-000006EC88CBA691.jpg

Also as this cars pretty tiny, I got a pair of motorbike plates done for it instead as the normal square ones looked quite big on it!

Hi mate I have square plates on my other car & not on my Lupo, they do look pretty good & to be honest there's not many cars about that have square plates!

9E61DF7E-DAAF-4585-9376-B6AB71D7D52D-5195-000006EC88CBA691.jpg

Also as this cars pretty tiny, I got a pair of motorbike plates done for it instead as the normal square ones looked quite big on it!

I've just ordered some 11x8" ones, I got a size of A3 Paper and mapped it out, looks alright, hopefully will look different, are motorbike plates legal then on cars?

Nice car though!

Edited by Marts

Well don't think bike plates are legal on cars but suppose get away with it as its such a small car it's suits the dimensions of it better!

Could of put import plates on it also, they look pretty good too!

• Like 1

Hey, just a little update, I ordered some plates from djhplates on eBay and they came the next day!

Haven't drilled them on yet but here's a picture with me just using sticky pads, looks a bit strange but I think given time I may get used to it :P

Wellingborough-20121005-00493.jpg

What are you doing with the recess? cos it's a bit pointless unless the recess is shortened to fit the plate or completely smoothed isnit.

What are you doing with the recess? cos it's a bit pointless unless the recess is shortened to fit the plate or completely smoothed isnit.

As I said I've only stuck on with stickypads at the moment to see what it would look like, I'll probably get it shorterned to fit around the plate or something when I get the bottom bit sprayed as well

Didn't littlegreengiant run a square plate on his loop?

As koop says, pointless without fitting the recess around the plate.

I went for an oversize plate on my lupo to fill the recess, made the car look even smaller! :D