Brake light in spoiler

i have heard about this before about the GTI , what it is , is that water gets in to the brake light and then that buggers it up , but i think u need to remove the spoiler to get it off i think to be honest as somebody mentioned something about bolts holding it on but someone else said theres was bonded on ? sorry if this doesnt help

Well - VW tell everyone they need to take the spoiler off. There are LOADS of posts on this, and somewhere there is a great post about refitting the brake light without taking the spoiler off.

Should work fine I guess - if not then the spoiler is bolted and glued

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />+-->

QUOTE(one litre wonder wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)
somebody mentioned something about bolts holding it on but someone else said theres was bonded on ?

The VW service manual claims it's only bolted on, but as far as I know, everyone who has had to remove it has found it's also bonded on.

yeah i would say its bounded on. Im not taking mine off yet (i was going to) as im sure it needs to be bound back on (preferably by body shop)

the spoilers on the gti are not bonded on. thre are jsut held on with 2 bolts. on the inside of the boot there are the 2 rubber tubes that hold the wires in that go from the car to the boot. but it off the boot side and you will see a bolt in there. This hols the soiler in place.. there is some rubber that goes round the edge of the spoiler but it is not a bonding substance. oh yeah you can't take it out the brake light without doing this as there are 2 screws on the inside holding it all in place.. hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about yet another brake light fiasco. I repaired mine at home last year. Yes, the spoiler was bonded on, but I think you CAN remove the light without taking off the whole spoiler. You need to slide the black blanking plate up that's on the inside middle of the tail gate. This reveals two screws which, if you undo them, don't appear to do much, however it enables you to slide the light unit out of the spoiler towards you. The connection has probably rusted away due to condensation if my experience is anything to go by. But don't panic! It's fixable. All the best.

vw also done mine last year, think they tried to get it out without removing the spoiler cos they broke the red lens off, then had to book it back in a week later for them to remove the whole spoiler. feckers.

QUOTE(ludo)
Sorry to hear about yet another brake light fiasco. I repaired mine at home last year. Yes, the spoiler was bonded on, but I think you CAN remove the light without taking off the whole spoiler. You need to slide the black blanking plate up that's on the inside middle of the tail gate. This reveals two screws which, if you undo them, don't appear to do much, however it enables you to slide the light unit out of the spoiler towards you. The connection has probably rusted away due to condensation if my experience is anything to go by. But don't panic! It's fixable. All the best.

Your right about the screws that don't do anything. I removed these, didn't know what they did. Does that brake light come out easy? or is it stuck in there? I will try it this week.

If you've undone the screws mentioned then the light SHOULD in theory be able to slide out towards you. It shouldn't be stuck but it is a tight fit. There's a rubber gasket all the way round between the lens and the spoiler. Take care not to damage that, but if you get a screwdriver in there you should be able to lever it out carefully..

when i get mine fixed, will be the 4th brake light!! they've ALWAYS removed the spoiler to do mine, two 10mm nuts hidden in the rubber boots either side, three screw under the plastic cover, spoiler comes off, then the light is held in with 3 nuts, not sure what size, but they are very small. 1st time, the gasket around the light was fudged, second time, they found the rubber seal on the spoiler was letting in water, poured about 2 pints out of it, and it had to be resealed to the car with some AKL 45000505 sealant, and now i need another one coz this one is leaking thru the brake light gasket again!!! only had it fixed about a month ago!!!

I admit my memory may be cloudy cos i have been to bed and drank beer several times since...

I did wonder whether it was worth drilling some wee drain holes under the spoiler lip to get rid of condensation...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm, took spoiler off today. 2 bolts and 3 screws under plastic cover. Its not stuck on (well mine wasn't).

spoiler.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The connector that supply the lamp unit had some rust around it and the prongs inside had corroded. :x

Looks like i need to buy a new light unit.

I will try to protect the connector from the elements when i fit it.

The part number for the brake light is 6E0 945 097 B if anyone needs it.

Edited by tshirt2k

Ah three nuts holding it on! Good picture - Forgive my appalling memory. Hope you are able to solder it up without forking out £26 for a new light? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />