Lowering springs - rear strut bolts

Hi guys, just got some lowering springs and went to do the rears tonight as heard it was a fairly quick job. Jacked the car up, put it on stands and took the wheels off.

Had a lot of trouble with the bolt that goes through the bottom of the strut/rear beam. Got it mostly loosened but the last 5mm of the thread of the bolt is rusted as **** and won't budge. I was using an ajustable to hold the bolt and a socket to loosen it but it just wouldn't budge much. Was wondering about just grinding through the bolt and replacing it with a new one but can't find one anywhere after a quick google around!

Anyone know where I can get a set of the bolts from either new or used? Going to douse them in WD-40 and have another crack but doubt they will come off thanks

Edited by matt123roll

Yeah was thinking that as a last resort, was just wondering if anyone had ideas where the find the exact bolt either from vw or a parts dealer. tbh even if they do come off i think i'll replace them as don't want to have the same fight again a few months down the line

Was hoping someone slightly more helpful might have a part number but by all means keep on posting unhelpful comments!

Ah yeah the parts department wouldn't have a clue if you said you were after a lupo rear lower shocker bolt, and they wouldn't be able to bring up extensive drawings using your chassis or reg number, silly me my comment was considerably unhelpful.

Jockey.

grind them off take both half to local hardware store or b&q? sure then can sort something out for you ?

Bolts have strength ratings, I would not just be going to a local hardware store ran by sixth form part timers on a weekend to get any random bolt that looks the same length

Hi Matt,

soak them in WD40 and wind them back in and out over a few days

they have gone tight on way out as you have run up to the exposed thread ,

just work them by loosening and tightening them carefully .

when you get em out take it to your VW dealer as a pattern ( even if its in two halfs)

and give him the "registeration number of your car" and tell him what you want , he will show you

diagrams on his desk vw parts finder and you can identify them easy.

they will have a clue !

DO NOT fit non standard bolts as the Vw bolts are 8.8 tensile strength and hardware bolts aint up to the loads

you / the car will put on it ,

cheers

Poss.....

Edited by POSS

Poss just basically copied what I put in my posts, I bet he takes all the glory ha ha

Edited by scotty_82

Hi Matt,

soak them in WD40 and wind them back in and out over a few days

they have gone tight on way out as you have run up to the exposed thread ,

just work them by loosening and tightening them carefully .

when you get em out take it to your VW dealer as a pattern ( even if its in two halfs)

and give him the "registeration number of your car" and tell him what you want , he will show you

diagrams on his desk vw parts finder and you can identify them easy.

they will have a clue !

DO NOT fit non standard bolts as the Vw bolts are 8.8 tensile strength and hardware bolts aint up to the loads

you / the car will put on it ,

cheers

Poss.....

Poss just basically copied what I put in my posts, I bet he takes all the glory ha ha

While your posts are similar scotty, he wasn't a smart arse about it so I thank him for that. As for the bolt, it's being soaked in penetrating oil so i'm gunna have a try later and hopefully they'll come out without too much hassle

Seriously the forum is getting more hard work everyday.

It's like a silver spoon " I can't do anything for myself " generation

why not un do shocks on top mount in boot and drop them out, swap spring then do them back up :shades: ps u dont need to take wheel off :ph34r:

Didn't want to **** about with the top mount as it means removing trim and stuff. Shot them with some WD-40 and left to soak. Came right off with an ajustable and a socket. New springs now in, bolts tidied up and placed back in.

And I thought the wheel did need to come off in order to drop the rear beam down enough to get the springs out? Either way it made access to the bolt easier :P