Lacquer - Sand between coats? Y/N?

James827

Refurbed my steelies a nice Pewter grey.

They look good but the clear coat is a bit rough, are you meant to sand between coats of clear just like paint?

they could do with a couple or coats more lacquer so i just wanna know if its worth Wet and drying them to get that extra bit of shine and smoothness that they are currently lacking.

I assume these would need a fine grade of wet and dry paper if they can be sanded down, What grade would be best?

Cheers,

James

Smoothest you can get and a gentle sand down.

Can get a smoother finish this way. A good polish will help aswell.

Like T cut? or too strong? its more of a Matte Finnish at the moment (The paints matte from the can) But it seems to be getting more of a shine with each coat, just feels a bit rough to the touch that's all

Yes sand between coats, with some very fine wet. once you've got enough coats of lacquer you should be able to use any normal paint products :)

I know as im part way through spraying my binnacle coded to the car, and have found the same thing! paint was extremely dull, after 2 coats of lacquer its almost up to the car shine!

ive done about 2 coats on mine atm (Il put pics up later) and there's not much shine. but in small patches where is a little bit thicker you can see some improvement. what kind of grade would i need? i assume it will need to be wet and dry

ive done about 2 coats on mine atm (Il put pics up later) and there's not much shine. but in small patches where is a little bit thicker you can see some improvement. what kind of grade would i need? i assume it will need to be wet and dry

Definately wet and dry, definately wet. I've been using 2000 - because i had it laying around, not sure what would be best tbh! i'll get a pic for u in a minute

b9e60d79.jpg

This was before i flatted it back... woops lol

thats the 2nd coat though, quite a thick coat for both

Edited by Ashh

• 4 weeks later...

No you don't rub down lacquer between coats,if you were wanting a shiny finish, would be easier doing 3 coats of black base coat, then 2 coats of lacquer then rub down any nibs with 2000 then polish! Wallaaa! :) hope that helps

Surely wet sanding between all layers of paint will eventually benefit you with a mirror flat surface.

If you didn't and sprayed on pretty thick I'd have thought you would get awful orange peel which will get worse with every coat you spray? Can't harm sanding between each layer tbh as long as you clean it well afterwards.