South Africa - Citi Golf snaps

LUPOES

I was in South Africa for the second half of March for a friend's wedding. As Citi Golfs are still common as muck there, I thought I would snap a few!

CITIx.jpg

CITIv.jpg

CITIiv.jpg

CITIiii.jpg

CITIii.jpg

CITIi.jpg

haha! This was spotted in a university town (not sure if a Citi Golf or MK1?):

CITIxi.jpg

Then, at a dealer elsewhere, I saw this blue 2009 model for sale, and a couple of older models further back:

CITIvi.jpg

CITIvii.jpg

CITIviii.jpg

Just under £7,000 approx at present, so cars are expensive over there!

Two older models:

CITIix.jpg

My mate has one in the UK - he imported it from South Africa a few years back but can't legally use it as it's not been Euro Safety Standard tested, he can after the car is ten year old as ten year old cars don't need to meet the standard, so it's just garaged up till then.

Edited by Pottster

I don't get the love for the Citigolf.

If someone went on Readers Cars and said "Hi, I've got a 5 door MK1 Golf and I've got big plans for it ;)" and then after lots of speculation about the big secret mods, the final car was a 5 door MK1 Golf with a MK2 Golf front end grafted on, Skoda Fabia dash, 3L steering wheel and Lupo/Polo alloys I don't think it'd be applauded for being worthwhile.

It's like taking a Morris Marina and sticking an Ital front end on it, putting in a Maestro dash and Rover 220GTi alloys.

Edited by IDGM

I suspect it's the fact it's basically a Mk1 Golf but it isn't going to fall apart at any minute. Like imported South American Beetles. With Bathursts! And they're RHD, I'm sold. Or would be if it wasn't for the massive spanner in the works Pottster mentioned :lol: Can you not get them tested? Kit & custom cars haven't had euro safety tests, n'est pas?

If I had one it would obviously get lowered and wheels changed etc, I just like the fact that you could be driving round in a modern ish car that resembles that iconic design :)

Edited by joeadamou

Yeh it came about, as I am sure some of you are aware, for the fact that the Mk2 Golf was going to be out of many people's reach due to the slight weight and price gain. VW SA managed to get Germany to allow them to keep the MK1 tooling going, and the production line was kept. Indeed, VW SA set up tooling to make one of the dash improvements in the early 1990s, but Germany said "no way are you making changes to it" so it wasn't until a good few years later when VW SA were permitted to update the dash to the Lupo/Polo look, and then finally the Bora/Fabia/Golf look that lasted until 2009.

Or would be if it wasn't for the massive spanner in the works Pottster mentioned :lol: Can you not get them tested? Kit & custom cars haven't had euro safety tests, n'est pas?

You can do a test but you would destroy it in the process, the kit and custom cars get by on a technicality, - the simple fact that its not on the market in Europe means its not been tested - so you can't register it :-(

The MK1/MK2 Golf's are the closest cars to it but they were before the modern euro safety tests so not a direct comparison, my mate has looked into every way possible but he just has to sit a wait another 7 years or so.

Ah makes sense suppose they have to crash them & stuff, probably an IVA I was thinking of

How strange, like a moving time capsule :lol: Still gets me when I see '61' plate Vw Campers driving around, must have been the last of the Mexican models? :huh:

I thought they were still making the Type 2 Bay van with an LC 1400 in them. They're converted over here by Devon iirc.