Top mount fitting tool

I've had to put the lupe back to standard as I'm giving it to my sister.

As the coilies have come off the rubber part of the top mount has died and the metal ring in it has collapsed allowing the retaining nut through.

This makes the springs make a horrible noise.

Having had a look on elsa the tool they use to replace the top mounts cost £500.

I found THIS LINK which has the tool I think I need - can anyone confirm the VW/AUDI one is the correct deal.

Scraping the penny pot at the moment so don't want to buy the wrong tool.

I'll do a write up when it comes to replacing them if it's helpful to anyone.

Thanks chaps

As above you just need a swan neck spanner and a hex bit to stick in the middle while you turn the bolt.

Thats the spanner I have - a swan neck but due to the inset it doesn't grip well enough or get to the correct angle. I don't mind spending 10 individual pounds on a tool if it's the right one. I'm just not sure which one it needs to be :-)

^if you can find a mate who will lend you one for all of 5 mins this will probably sort you right out tbf

Tonight I tried to tackle the topmounts

Got as far as taking out the strut and then the bearings exploded everywhere.

They are going to be changed then I'll be able to get a guide up once the parts arrive

In the first photo you can see how the nut has gone through the rubber mount which is causing my problem.

I've ordered the tool in my first post in the thread.

I could undoubtedly get the nut off today but want to have the correct tool to put it back on and torque it up to 60nm as VW specifies. My 12v 4 year old impact wrench is on its last legs so hardly puts out any torque :P

temporary-4.jpg

temporary-3.jpg

I put them on light because everything was broken around but so I could move the car. They aren't tight but really I was asking about the tool.

I've ordered it now so I'll see but as above I want to get the specific torque value and would need the tool to do this. Unfortunately the impact wrench can't offer this.

• 4 months later...

Im currently lowering my loop and found im having the same problem with getting the nut off. i didnt think the air gun would have worked, didnt think of maul gripping the shock piston, but as i can see it does so i will be giving it a go! Thanks! :D

Yup, mole grips on a piston. Genius.

This doesn't really work, the bolt is held on with spring compression, it's actually hand tight.

Buy some spring compressing things, save your teeth.

I nearly lost my non mechanical nuts when the thing went boom before.

Reading ELSA it says the nut on top should be 60NM. After doing this a couple more times since my initial post I think you just need a very swan-necked and thin ring 21mm spanner. to get past that lip on the top mount.

When it came down to the nut the 2nd time, i got my hands on a swan neck spanner and it just spun off, all in all a rather straight forward process :) No need for a air gun!

Joys of finding a spark plug socket with a 19mm hex upper :)

And a really long 6mm allen key on a socket ?

That's what I use when I haven't got the gun handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that's right. I've been on the search function and there are a lot of different ideas about. I've previously helped out on one of these threads. Coilovers are just about to go back on the Lupo but not yet courtesy of this little chap.

WP_002406.jpg

Anyway I want to confirm the top mount order on coilovers is spring, coilover spring retaining plate, top mount bearing, rubber top mount, original VW nut, wheel house, top cap and nut

On my search I've seen people put a nut straight on top of the bearing and then the top mount. This doesn't allow the 2 parts of the bearing to move independently and only allow the cap of the bearing to move and must be wrong.

http://forums.clublu...showtopic=58259

Just want some clarification that I am right. As picture always help, here's what I mean, you can see the bearing face is against the top mount and the nut on top is pushing on the wrong part, stopping it from freely moving

WP_002408.jpg

WP_002411.jpgWP_002417.jpg

Edited by grazo22