Retrofitting Fog Lights completed!

Ok, it's starting to look like it'll be more trouble than it's worth but bear with me -has anybody fitted Fog lights to a non Sport/TDI model, and if so, how did you go about it?

I've managed to find a few brief topics on this subject here, but most just touch on what maybe needed and not much of the practical end of it. I gleamed that once you've got the lower sport valance and the fog lights themselves, it would be the case to connect some corresponding loom from the fog lights to the existing light electrics (can see that being the fiddly bit), and replace the existing dashboard light switch with one that can activate the lights (1C0 941 531 A). But am i being silly in thinking that'll work (probably)?

I've had some converse with Dale (Lupoboz) and he thinks it may be easier to set up fogs and wire it to a new aftermarket switch up in the cab than the above method, which I've done previously on a couple of Landrovers, I was just hoping for a neater solution.

Any Ideas?

Edited by Hazy

If it was a couple of years ago, probably not, but there's been quite a few times recently I've had to drive over the fells past Castleside recently (which is likely to increase too with work site visits) and I've not been able to see hand in front of face. Not fun with Sheep walking all over the shop.

Could put them in for show -and wouldn't be the first to do so -but I'd rather them be useful.

Anybody have any ideas, Surely somebody's had a crack at this before, am i to tread a new path here by myself (suppose a how-to could be made that way)? :coffee:

There is a retrofit harness available from carmedia for £34 in addition to that you would need the specific switch and relay, not to mention the lights and grille. Carmedia seem to think it takes 45 mins to install although there is no instruction on there website and they have not emailed me back about my requests for further details.

Ive added front foglights to my lupo

Its actually pretty easy you need the following:

2 x Front Foglight and screws

1 x Lower valance with fog holes

1 x Length of Red Wire 16 guage

1 x Length of Black wire 16 guage

2 x female connectors for the fog lights from vw with suatable guage repair wires

Headlight switch with front fogs

Soldering Iron

Solder

Heatwrap

Inline Fuse Holder and Fuse (20A)

2 ring terminals

Step 1:

Remove you lower valance and replace it with the sport valance with your fogs fitted

This guide will help with that:

http://forums.clublu...showtopic=24576

Step 2:

Remove headlight switch and replace with the front fog switch

Step 3:

Run the red wire through the bulkhead using an existing grommet. There's a few places that cables come through, the easiest is behind the ABS pump, presuming you have ABS, if not it's behind the brake pipe manifold. Once you've pushed a wire through here you should be able to find it in the passenger footwell up behind the dash, it'll be under some soundproofing which can easily be moved out of the way.

Step 4:

Run the red wire you just pulled through to the drivers side of the dash and up to behind the headlight switch. There will then be a thick white and yellow colour wire in the loom that goes to the connector for the headlight switch. It provides 12v when the fog switch is on and 0v when it is off. Tap into this wire by removing some insulation and soldering it in. Dont forget to heatshrink.

Step 5:

Go to the end of the wire you ran through the bulkhead and put in your inline fuse making sure its accesable somewhere in case it blows. The run the wire to the first foglight.

Step 6:

Insert the repair wires into your fog swith connectors. Start with your first foglight and tap your postive repair wire into the red wire. The continue the red wire and connect it to the positive repair wire on the second foglight. At this point its a good idea to secure the wire along the front panel so it doesnt hang down.

Step 7:

Connect one end of your black wire to a ring terminal and find a good grounding point on the chassis. Connect the other end to your negative repair wire on the first fog light. Now get another piece of wire and do the same for the second fog light.

Step 8:

Turn on your ignition and headlights so they come on. Pull your new switch out to the first position and check that your new foglights come on.

Step 9:

Relax cos youve done it.

Hope that helps mate

:)

Edited by madmanncfc

Ive added front foglights to my lupo

Its actually pretty easy you need the following:

2 x Front Foglight and screws

1 x Lower valance with fog holes

1 x Length of Red Wire 16 guage

1 x Length of Black wire 16 guage

2 x female connectors for the fog lights from vw with suatable guage repair wires

Headlight switch with front fogs

Soldering Iron

Solder

Heatwrap

Inline Fuse Holder and Fuse (20A)

2 ring terminals

Step 1:

Remove you lower valance and replace it with the sport valance with your fogs fitted

This guide will help with that:

http://forums.clublu...showtopic=24576

Step 2:

Remove headlight switch and replace with the front fog switch

Step 3:

Run the red wire through the bulkhead using an existing grommet. There's a few places that cables come through, the easiest is behind the ABS pump, presuming you have ABS, if not it's behind the brake pipe manifold. Once you've pushed a wire through here you should be able to find it in the passenger footwell up behind the dash, it'll be under some soundproofing which can easily be moved out of the way.

Step 4:

Run the red wire you just pulled through to the drivers side of the dash and up to behind the headlight switch. There will then be a thick white and yellow colour wire in the loom that goes to the connector for the headlight switch. You need to tap your red wire into this by removing some insulation and soldering it in.

Behind the light switch there will be a (colour) wire. Tap into this wire with your red wire as it provides 12v when the fog switch is on and 0v when it is off. then recconect the switch

Step 5:

Go to the end of the wire you ran through the bulkhead and put in your inline fuse making sure its accesable somewhere in case it blows. The run the wire to the first foglight.

Step 6:

Insert the repair wires into your fog swith connectors. Start with your first foglight and tap your postive repair wire into the red wire. The continue the red wire and connect it to the positive repair wire on the second foglight. At this point its a good idea to secure the wire along the front panel so it doesnt hang down.

Step 7:

Connect one end of your black wire to a ring terminal and find a good grounding point on the chassis. Connect the other end to your negative repair wire on the first fog light. Now get another piece of wire and do the same for the second fog light.

Step 8:

Turn on your ignition and headlights so they come on. Pull your new switch out to the first position and check that your new foglights come on.

Step 9:

Relax cos youve done it.

Hope that helps mate

:)

Absolute legend! Quality instructions there mate, exactly the solution i was looking for, once i've got all the parts lined up i'll be cracking on! Massive thanks. :thumbsup:

My foglights have never worked since i've had it and it wasn't a problem up the moors next to the derwent reservoir :)

Sometimes it isn't an sometimes it is, twice recently it's combined with the cloud cover and it's like pea soup! Factor in suicidal sheep...

Edited by Hazy

If you'd been 2minutes quicker i would've taken it off you, but i've just bought off eBay. Thanks for the offer though!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, majority of this retrofit has been done today, although i seem to have hit a small hitch... basically only one (driver's side) of the fog lights will come on, I've been around all the connections and double checked the earth mountings (which are tied into the earth mount below the battery), even the lights themselves -the non working one will work when the other connection is plugged into it -and I can't really see what can be stopping it working.

As it is:

foglights.jpg

Am I being a bit tunnel-visioned and is something staring me blank in the face? Would the non-working Fog benefit from it's own lead to the Headlight cable behind the switch?

Edited by Hazy

It should be, as it's tapped into the wire coming from the working one, and i did double check the connection -I might change the repair wire coming out of the fog with a fresh one just in case I have a broken wire somewhere. Something's not connecting somewhere, i'll crack out the mulitmeter tomorrow to check, as daylight was failing me this afternoon.

Your guide worked a treat for installing mind, so thanks again!

Success!

27032012056.jpg

27032012055.jpg

Couldn't find what was wrong in either the positive or the earth connected to the non-working fog, so I just replaced both, and now it works. funny bloody electrics.

Anyho, thanks for all the help and suggestions!