Front Splitter

Curtis

Hey guys, just a question to those of you who have a splitter fitted to their cars. Is there a noticable difference in downforce at the front? As i start to approach motorway speeds the car feels a bit light at the front, and i was thinking that a decent splitter would help push the front down enough to get the car to feel a bit more 'planted' through the steering. I'm likely to go for an LCR splitter as that looks to be the only one that looks like it might actually provide any decent airflow, rather than the block like shapes of the polo and mk3 gti splitters

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I assume most people fit them for aesthetics not for aero?

Its unlikely that fitting a bit of plastic or rubber with self tappers will give you kilos of downforce, and is more likely to make things worse than better if it isn't specifically designed for the vehicle. Proper aero designers can make huge differences with minute changes, the splitter would need to work in harmony with the engine tray etc.

Yeah i know what you mean mate, its not gonna give huge amounts, just enough to keep the car a bit more stable. I'd have thought the splitter would guide a bit more air through the bumper rather than under it, but i can appreciate that it is done more for styling and those ever controversial 'fake lows' XD

Read this months TopGear mag, it has a really interesting bit on aero.

Crazy stuff like the new Civic Deisel took 2g/km off its emissions by putting two tiny plastic wedges between lights and wheel arches.

They said most oem splitters are designed to keep air away from engine bay to reduce drag and increase economy.

It is amazing how much a tiny change can make, there was a guy whose blog I read who was trying to make those wheel well deflectors for his car, you know the ones that some cars have fitted in front of wheels? Well he made them in a way that seemed sensible. He placed them in front of the tyre, angled from front to back. Result? Reduced economy and increased lift :(

The TopGear article concludes aero is a dark art only understood by Adrain Newey. Lol.

You buy the splitter and I'll fire up the state of the art wind tunnel, get a grip.

Vw designed the car years ago and your probably the first person ever to have come on here and complain about it lifting at motorway speeds, so that suggests your either dreaming it or that your car is secretly holding some Chevy v8 under the bonnet and the power is trying to make it do back flips

I'm not going to bite as I know that's just how you are ;)

I just found it odd how light the steering goes when I hit say 65-70 mph. I'm not looking for proven facts and figures, just asking around if anyone has noticed a difference after fitting the splitter.

Right anyway, what's your suspension setup? And if you build your car around your mrs you really are whipped.

"Bazinga Punk.

You have fallen for one of my many practical jokes"

Anyway... Lol at downforce. Would expect this on a Saxo fan website, which chavvy spoiler to get, hmm.

"Bazinga Punk.

You have fallen for one of my many practical jokes"

Anyway... Lol at downforce. Would expect this on a Saxo fan website, which chavvy spoiler to get, hmm.

Lol behave! At least I can differentiate between front and rear downforce and its effects on front and rear wheel drive XD

Its all a learning curve right?