no engine warning light

hi guys, ive just bought a 1.4s lupo and replaced the oil pressure sensor as it was leaking and changed the oil. only today did i notice that when i turn on the ignition (car not started) all the relevent lights light up then go out once the car is started. only problem is the engine warning does not light up at all, is it possible that the previous owner has removed the bulb so it wont light therefore fooling the dealer i bought it of into thinking all was well, or will it only come on if there is a fault?

cheers for any help

well ive contacted vw on this matter and according to them, 1999/2000 lupo's do not have bulbs as such they have led boards and will only come on when there is a problem!!! does anyone else have a 1999/2000 car that they can turn on the ignition and tell me if their engine warning light lights up? im still not convinced

cheers guys

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72738

I looked into this when I got my Lupo (see link). Before 2000 it wasn't a legal requirement to have an engine check light so, although there is physically a LED on the circuit board, the instrument pack's software doesn't enable it. I don't know the exact cut-off date for Lupos - it depends on the homologation 'model year' of the car rather than the date the car was manufactured.

No worries mate. If youre still worried then an ebay fault code reader will read the engine codes.

:-)

you also helped me there, at least i know im not meant to have an EM light. Now for the airbag light that i don't have anymore..