dpf question

Hi peoples, I have an '08 leon fr tdi which went into limpmode a couple of days ago. The garage i took it to told me it needed a dpf filter at £1100+vat so i've removed the dpf, cut the insides out and re-fitted it, which has cleared all of the lights and the car is running fine now. I've read online that it is ok temporarily without the dpf function being removed from the ecu but i should get it done asap (payday in this case). So my question is why do I need it removing? the dpf has pressure sensors either side of it which measure how well the filter is flowing, so will surely just think it's being super efficient and wont ever try to re-generate so wont cause any problems??? Or am i missing something here?? Thanks in advance. .. Matt

Edited by matt~black

Oh i see i coppied it from a post i made on another forum and i'd have thought that it would copy whole lines but it appears to have only coppied the bit of text visible my bad :-/

fixed

Edited by matt~black

£1110 just for the filter? Cheap to run these diesels, 50mpg dont you know!

not even that the dpf strangles the enanyhgine makes it bog down and ruins any chance of topping 45mpg it seems to have improved since removing the filter though saw a 7mpg increase on my commute yesterday thats almost one day a week free

You should have RTFM on the DPF. There should be something in there about "regeneration", Like hold at WOT in 6th for 30 minutes at least once a week, or some other similar sort of tricky task. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you should be driving it long term without the DPF, as the ECU adjusts fueling depending on DPF requirements. It could be trying to regenerate even without the DPF there. You wouldn't want to be running around with EGTs higher than they should be for too long.

Any good tuner should be able to recode the ECU for DPF delete. You should get better fuel economy without it.

You should have RTFM on the DPF. There should be something in there about "regeneration", Like hold at WOT in 6th for 30 minutes at least once a week, or some other similar sort of tricky task. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you should be driving it long term without the DPF, as the ECU adjusts fueling depending on DPF requirements. It could be trying to regenerate even without the DPF there. You wouldn't want to be running around with EGTs higher than they should be for too long.

Any good tuner should be able to recode the ECU for DPF delete. You should get better fuel economy without it.

I was going to say, map it out.

DPF's are a manace.

Sorry Officer, I was only doing 145mph as I was regenerating my DPF!

I may have exaggerated the conditions slightly, but I know DPFs can be a PITA for people who only do town driving.

A girl I know had a DPF replaced on her A3 2.0TDI. I told her she should give the car a good run out of town each week, to help stop the DPF clogging again. Later I heard how she was now doing a long trip each week to see a friend, about 5 miles of country roads from where she lives. :doh:

At least the coolant may actually be getting up to temperature on the way home. :wacko:

It makes you wonder how many pointless catalysts there are out there.

I'm not sure what RTFM means but the normal procedure is 5th gear @65mph whenever the light comes on until it clears which it does without fail after 4-5minutes apparently it wont dissapear until the filter is back down to 0% of whatever the percentages measure.

The flow of it is measured (as far as I can see having removed it and had a good look) by vacum pipes either side of the filter coming off and going into a little sensor so as far as I can imagine it would just think it is at 0% and flowing freely and so would never try to re-generate if it didn't think it was blocked surely???

there are plenty about and all charge about the same (circa £300) but when ask why I need to remove the software they all just say "because it will damage your engine if you don't" I don't claim to know more about engines then these guys as undoubtedly some of them are very good at what they do but I'm not the sort of person to just hand over a substantial amount of money without an explination of why I need to it just sounds like money for old rope to me

You don't even need to replace them half as often as suggested, I went on a course and they showed us how you clean the dpf as like a supplementary to the regeneration and it clears much more soot content and blows heaps of ash out the back and clears any lack of power issues.

I looked in to this when looking at a 170 GT sport TDI MK5.

JBS do a full exhaust system, with DPF removal pipe and remap for £1285. Which takes the car to 220-240bhp too.

http://www.jbsautode...catback-package

Rather than replace it, just remove it and get a bit more power for a fraction of the price it would be, its only £185 difference.

Needless to say i didnt buy it and went for a GTi instead, but if i had done thats what id do.

John