Winter mode?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I keep seeing people mention that their car is in "winter-mode", and I can't help but wonder, what actually is this?

I've got the impression that everyone worries that winter is going to destroy their car, but surely it rains in the summer as well, so should this "mode" not be in place all the time, incase of some rain pouring down? Just a tad confused :unsure:

Winter mode for me:

Starlite wheels off so i don't damage them if its icy and i slide into a curb

Winter wheels on with winter tires for better grip

Coilovers up and longer rear springs in so the car doesn't hit the mounds of snow/ice in the middle of the road

Winter antifreeze mix in to stop the engine freezing

Winter screen wash in to stop it freezing in the tank and screen wash pipes routed around top radiator pipe to get some heat in the screen wash

Car waxed and paintwork sealed

Spare battery and jump leads in the boot in case the cold kills the battery

Having said that i live in a tiny village miles from anywhere so i take extra care of the car.

Winter mode for me:

Starlite wheels off so i don't damage them if its icy and i slide into a curb

Winter wheels on with winter tires for better grip

Coilovers up and longer rear springs in so the car doesn't hit the mounds of snow/ice in the middle of the road

Winter antifreeze mix in to stop the engine freezing

Winter screen wash in to stop it freezing in the tank and screen wash pipes routed around top radiator pipe to get some heat in the screen wash

Car waxed and paintwork sealed

Spare battery and jump leads in the boot in case the cold kills the battery

Having said that i live in a tiny village miles from anywhere so i take extra care of the car.

Expensive and polished wheels off and cheaper alternatives on. Some people also raise their coilovers.

Salt on the roads is the cause for concern for some. Not just rain.

Ahh makes sense. Sorry haha I just couldn't figure out what was so different, but now i see why its important if you've spent alot on wheels etc..