Headrest blues

Ok, so I don't like the "open" Lupo headrests and wanted some of the traditional kind.

I made the schoolboy error of buying some Polo ones without checking first, as I thought 'no worries if they don't fit I'll mod them a la how to'.

Well they fit in, and are a perfect colour match, but the notches are all in the wrong place and the legs are a narrower diameter. The front ones from the Polo sit nice and flush with the tops of the rear seats, or the rear ones sit up an inch or so like the Lupo ones.

I can fit the Polo front ones in the front seat and they sit at a nice height, but they aren't secure. In a crash I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting away without whiplash.

I can't follow the 'how to' as the Polo headrest foam isn't split so I just can't slide the legs out, also I can't see any way to split the Lupo ones :-(

Not sure what to do now. I thought about getting new guides, since the passenger ones are loose anyway. Something like this, anyone with ETKA that could help with a part no? Think they are from a Polo 6N.

I have similar blues, I went into my local VW dealers & they still do the older type solid headrests - but you have to buy all the components separate & it comes to about 145 quid for one! I was just gonna look out for some of the older (or GTI) types on ebay but if anyone's got any other suggestions for compatible headrests I'm all ears

i have the older type, solid headrest. before the hoop ones. and love them, by far prefer them to the newer hoop style. i'd definitely say theyre worth picking up if you can find some!

• 3 weeks later...

haha ! yeah ;) they came as standard, i thinkkkk the first lupos (mines very very early ) came with them, before they went to hoop ones.

from launch to about late 99' or early 00' i think :) you can tell because of the positioning of hazard switch and heated window switches. wont arosa headrests fit? there mostly solid? i guess its a case of matching up the fabrics mind