little red from the hood

gameoner

Hi all names Ryan, i live and work between south london & surrey. Been on here a while, I've had my lupo for almost 2yrs now. as you see it is how i bought it, all ive done is put petrol, water and oil in it and wash it every now and then..

IMG00407-20111022-1255.jpg

IMG00408-20111022-1255.jpg

IMG00409-20111022-1256.jpg

It was just my daily runaround until the engine died (piston rings) in april of this year :innocent:

Ever since its sat on my drive doing nothing but rust and collect spider webs.. Until yesterday when (along with my little bro) we towed, yes towed it 443 miles to scotland.

IMG00415-20111027-2210.jpg

IMG00416-20111027-2210.jpg

Oh yea last november i bought an engine :ninja:

SDC10015.jpg

which is the whole reason it went to scotland.. :shades:

My plans are get some coilovers, decent wheels, sort the paint and dents, then the interior.

Edited by gameoner

Please tell me you didn't tow the lupo up to scotland, put the engine in the back and ow it back!!! I'm assuming you left the car in scotland for the engine work to be done??

What wheels are on the car, they dont look bad.

Its a grey area with not that much legal info on it, i googled it and got mostly theories and opinions. Roughly what i found out was towing on the motorway is legal, car must have tax, insurance & mot (apparently doesn't need mot if you can prove you're taking it be mot-ed) 60mph max, not allowed in the fast lane unless directed to by lane restrictions/accidents etc.. You must use a pole instead of rope, display 'on tow' clearly on the rear & display the reg of the leading vehicle. The person in any towed vehicle must hold a full driving licence for that class of vehicle and be insured on it by a 'third party only' minimum. The driver doing the towing must have held a full licence for 3 years, be 21 or over unless they have already got the B+E (car & trailer) entitlement. Apparently you can only use an A-frame or Dolly when a car has broken down not for general towing, because using an A-frame to tow a car effectively means you're towing a trailor (there are more rules, plus licence and weight limitations). We passed 3marked police cars en-route and weren't stopped, so i assume so? Found nothing about a limit on distance.. :ph34r: Won't ever be doing it again tho, took us 10 LONG hours!! :blink:

Edited by gameoner

The mot rule is balls. You are allowed to drive your car to an mot station if it has no mot, but its not allowed to be 40 miles away.

And, if your car was going for mot, why would you be towing it? It should be ready for the road. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

g40 as in the supercharged 1.3 ? if so thats sweeeeet !

Yup, same engine. from the mk3 polo.

Always wandered why there aren't more G40 lupos. Guess the engines are hard to come by?

mine popped up on edition about a yr ago. they do pop up from time to time and hold there price relatively well. as for G40 lupos i don't know of any, seen a few 6n/6n2 polos converted, and from what i gather the engine bays and engines used are almost identical. theres a G40 arosa on youtube. most people opt to go down the 1.8t route. its a modern engine with 150-225bhp out the box depending on the engine/turbo setup you go for, with huge tuning potential. i wanted to do something a little different :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

so i bought these on sunday 14 x 7+8 et25 i think. wrapped in 195/45s all round. i'm thinking slimmer tyres maybe needed for the fronts.

14BorbetTs7s8s.jpg

next on the list is new topmounts & coilovers. im still undecided on which ones though :unsure: i know everyone says the jom/raceland ones are poop, but if i wanna go low on the rear there going to need adapting/cutting anyway right? any help/opinions would be great! Ryan

I bloody hope so mate.. Its been a long time coming. Can't wait to get it back and drive the thing. Think I've read through your build in the past.. Blue colour concept? 3L front?

• 4 months later...