Anyone fitted golf mk5 tail gate badge opener

GTIWOLF

I have brought a fused 12v feed in to the boot, it runs through a latching relay that is attached to the wiring for the central locking then runs through another relay which powers the boot actuator which is controlled by the boot handle microswitch. As the wires that run through the micro switch on the boot handle aren't man enough to take the current draw you need for the solenoid.

You could probably find a double pole relay that has a latching element and switching element in it somewhere to save how much wiring you need.

why not be original and do an arosa mk2 boot, same badge as boot handle setup only its mechanical so no need for any solenoids or confusing wiring, and replace the S with a custom machined badge, whole lot cheaper whole lot cooler whole lot more original

Thanks casper nice one mate.

Jamie i went this way because i want it to look like it came out the factory like this and im sure you way wouldnt be cheaper as a complete Mk5 Tail gate just set me back £45.

yes but you have to get someone to graft in the handle to your existing boot wire it up and get it painted, which wont be cheap, arosa boot is a straight fit, no fannying around, upto you tho man with what look your after

I get the whole "be different" aspect... but I also understand the "original style" aspect more, to be honest.

A wise man once told me, the best (modified) cars are the ones that look like original concept designs of the car in question, or modified in a way that it resembles a limited edition version of the car..

Anyway... On topic, gtiwolf, keep us updated with progress photos? I've always loved this concept, my best friend has a Passat that has the same feature and I've always wanted it.. Just sounds way over my head!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was quoted £500 for welding in and paint.

gregg howell? :lol: no doubt a good job but bit steep!!

do all the wiring yourself and i recon you could get it welded and sprayed at a decent local bodyshop for £300 max

Edited by marcusgrant

yes but you have to get someone to graft in the handle to your existing boot wire it up and get it painted, which wont be cheap, arosa boot is a straight fit, no fannying around, upto you tho man with what look your after

And have a nice Seat badge on the back of your VW.