Useless Wiper Blades

starbank

Driving up from York yesterday to Edinburgh in all the snow reaffirmed just how flamin useless these new style blades are on the GTi. I've replaced them twice in 3 years (soon to be 4) and not one pair have been as good as the old style.

Might have to do a bit of investigating to see if I can get some better replacements. Anyone else checked?

Mine are shocking aswell, they leave smears and are so noisy, no matter how much rain sleet or snow is coming from the heavens! Sorry that isn't really much help, i just had to voice my opinion on them aswell.

I have been forgetting to post this but I will while its fresh in my mind.

Friday I had been to the Dentist, and was on the `M-Way` home.

Doing around 90 with the wipers on and the N/S arm suddenly got caught and got its self wedged under the O/S.

Had to switch off the wipers untill I could get off the next slip road and sort it out.

Yesterday we went for a drive.

Same thing again, hit aboiut 80, wipers on full, same bloody thing again!

Looks like a new arm is needed.

Anyone had this?

This is my N/S arm and blade is an old style GTi one.

Never happened to my Tigz - even more concerning than the smears your problem!

I'm beginning to wonder whether both problems could be related i.e. the wiper arms or the spring mechanism. The issues I have could be due to the arms not applying the appropriate pressure onto the screen hence the smears etc.

Both my old man and a work colleague have Passats and they have the same probs with new blades.

old style GTi one tigs? there was talk of a replacement with a slightly different design a while back when people were getting their blades changed for the first time and had to get arms too, maybe the change solves that potential problem?

Im really glad it's not me, i thought the smearing was down to the autoglym shampoo that i use on the car. Once you have wiped the screen and it is smeary it can take a good 20 secs to clear but by this time you've had to wipe again to get yet more smear. Im gonna invest in some new blades me thinks, must be a poor design though.

However mine arent noisy all the time, only usually if the screens not very wet and it's just a bit of spray., if it's actually raining then their silent.

I've had the same problem with wipers. But the pair I currently have have got better over time (just). Judder is bad if screen is only slightly wet (i reckon this is down to spring tension). Smearing is bad over 80mph. Mine are just standard Lupo versions with an `aero-fin` in the o/s. Actually now I think about it the n/s is brilliant without the `aero-fin`!!??

I might try `Rain-X`

well my cousin has an 03 golf with the same type of wipers and his are deadly silent!

mine were fine yesterday after i washed the car until i sprayed some washer fluid on it, then it went all noisey and juddery again.

ALSO, for some reason if i keep turning the wipers on and off(when it's not raining much) eventually they won't come on at all even if i use the washer spray! they only come back on if i put the wipers on full blast. i'll mention it when i get it serviced in the summer.

Mine is ****ed.

Not even bothering to pull the wiper down any more.

Just bent the arm so it sweeps over the other one...

I'll go get pics...

Here it is, my almost, single wiper conversion.

DSC00016.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

DSC00017.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Speaking of which, anyone know the part number for the N/S arm? lol