SERVICE INSP

Jnmercury00

another day another question.

I merrily got into my car today and when i turned it on it said on the display in flashing writing 'service insp' or something like that. after a few minutes it just said 'service miles' which was on constantly. i checked my manual and it said that this means that it is due for a service. fair enough except for the fact that my car isn't a year old until july and it's only done 5200 miles.

any ideas why it's doing this? is it a regular occurence?

i have no idea if it's set to fixed or variable. i thought you normally get a letter from your stealer when it's due unless you do alot of miles and you contact them. i don't think any lupo would have to be serviced after 6 months 5000 miles.

thanks for the link tigz, i knew i would have to reset it.

QUOTE(Tigz)
Nope 10k miles.

Think about it though, the car may have been sat in a show room being run every could of days for 6 months before you took it.

The car may 'think' its due its year service.

well yeah it was used on and off for 6 months until i got it. but i dont see how it could think thats its it's birthday today.

i was adjusting a front wiper last night and was rocking the car from side to side to pull the wiper off, i also changed my single cd to a 6 changer. maybe it was something to do with that?

QUOTE(Jnmercury00)
i don't think any lupo would have to be serviced after 6 months 5000 miles.

eh no mate the lights on because its been X many years since the car was made ! i found this out to my dismay the car was registered in july of 2004 and by november ( 6500 miles ) the light comes on , it went in to get it checked and there like "yeah its due its first service " and i am all like WTF!!! and i said but the cars not a year old yet or done 10Kmiles and the guy said to me that the car was made a year ago and needs a service , so i told them to go feck themselves if they think my car is getting a service before 10k miles ( their just trying to get ma 110 quid off of me !)

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />+-->

QUOTE(one litre wonder wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)
QUOTE(Jnmercury00)
i don't think any lupo would have to be serviced after 6 months 5000 miles.

eh no mate the lights on because its been X many years since the car was made ! i found this out to my dismay the car was registered in july of 2004 and by november ( 6500 miles ) the light comes on , it went in to get it checked and there like "yeah its due its first service " and i am all like WTF!!! and i said but the cars not a year old yet or done 10Kmiles and the guy said to me that the car was made a year ago and needs a service , so i told them to go feck themselves if they think my car is getting a service before 10k miles ( their just trying to get ma 110 quid off of me !)

well regardless whether it's unofficially a year old, the car was registered on the 23rd of june so that when i'm taking it in. don't vw normally contact you to remind of a due service? and i think they would have told me if the service was due 2 weeks after buying it.

i think your dealers were trying to play you for a fool and seeing if you'd fall for it, i wouldn't put it past them.

in simple terms, and im sure its been said before in this post...........

When you buy a new car, you are not necessarily buying a 'new' car.

eg. two identical cars bought on the 1st August 2004 on a '54 plate aren't necessarily the same age: one may have a June 2004 build, and will more than likely be the car model that is selling pretty well, as the factory is turning over stock pretty fast.

Conversely, the other car may have been a slow selling model, and may have been in storage for 'x' amount of months, even years! so the car's ecu thinks its old even though it hasnt even been registered yet

(e.g. I sold a Mercedes ML500 to a customer for August 2004 registration & delivery last year that was over a year and a half old)

And its also a myth that at PDi this is all reset: You'll be surprised how little is actually done at PDi, mainly because very little is needed to be done!

Hope this explains it all to yer, and listen to Tigz: reset the light, and get your car serviced on mileage or time, whichever occurs first.

It also may be worth checking your oil level aswell, as it has been known that when oil levels are low, the knock sensors on the engine pick it up and this can trigger the service light to come on early, but I am not sure this necessarily applys to our little Lupos!!

D. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />