Remap Fuel economy

rick briddon

Hi

Just had my 1.4 Tdi remapped at awesome and i have to say it is prity nippy now, the only thing is i seem to be using alot more fuel than i used to.

Now i know with increased power comes less mpg however awesome said it wouldnt be to much.

Now ive started this thread to try and see how much mpg folk with standard tdi's use and how much anyone with a remapped tdi use.

Im certain before remap i could get nearly 400 miles per tank ( :wacko: ) on a full tank of steady driving, now im seeing around 325.

Any info appreciated.

:)

Im running a stainless decat pipe and BMC airfilter (non induction) the car is low mileage and well serviced.

Edited by rick briddon

I've got an Arosa Sport that was remapped, it's got schricks cams & other head work. Before the remap the furling wasn't amazing but since the mapping it's shocking. With me putting in about £12-£15 of fuel I'm lucky if I see 70miles out of it.

I get around 350 miles to a tank mainly motorway driving, but then again I have no idea if mine's remapped or not as it feels pretty nippy to be standard :coffee:

I am exactly the same... Get the same milage to a full tank of fuel. I'm not sure if it's remapped either.. My first diesel turbo so :/ only had my car for the cost effectiveness... Would like a remap but if this is what happens I think I'll steer clear for a bit...

I am exactly the same... Get the same milage to a full tank of fuel. I'm not sure if it's remapped either.. My first diesel turbo so :/ only had my car for the cost effectiveness... Would like a remap but if this is what happens I think I'll steer clear for a bit...

regardless of whether the engine has been remapped or not its how you drive the car which effects the mpg. top gear did a test involving a prius on a track with a bmw m3 keeping up with it and the prius used more juice than the beemer. Id also say it depends how good your remap is. ive seen adjustable units on the net but they cost a fair bit.

regardless of whether the engine has been remapped or not its how you drive the car which effects the mpg. top gear did a test involving a prius on a track with a bmw m3 keeping up with it and the prius used more juice than the beemer. Id also say it depends how good your remap is. ive seen adjustable units on the net but they cost a fair bit.

Ah yes, i remember seeing that.... I laughed when they found out the results :P

I live where there are LOTS of country lanes :D Spirited Drive FTW!

I get around 350 miles to a tank mainly motorway driving, but then again I have no idea if mine's remapped or not as it feels pretty nippy to be standard :coffee:

Got to admit I expected more than that - straight motorway I do that in my GTI. Im certain if I did the entire tank in one go at 55mph I could crack 400 miles to the tank.

Hi

Thanks for the info and keep it coming, its probably my heavy foot, but prity sure i wasnt hammering it, oh and yep i certainly ment 400 miles per tank, although 400 mpg would be mint.

I think on my next big trip im gonna try and stay at 70mph (motorway) and see what the fuel gauge reads

Edited by rick briddon

I used longlife in Salisbury, they did me a full stainless pipe runing from manifold downpipe all the way back and decatting for £250.. they wanted £280 but i was cheeky.

I also got them to take the middle silencer out but ive decided to go back and get them to put it back in as i get a weird anoying humming at 2500 revs.

My lupo ran 80Bhp with the decat and bmc filter, nice mild mods.

I have a standard tdi and scangauge, i can see the massive drop in mpg above 70 on the motorway, 68 seems about right for max mpg and at 60 in the lakedistrict on their roads is bliss, almost 60mpg and massive smiles. I get around 350 to a tank around huddersfield going 2 miles to college and back and thats on a hill so always going to be bad. I get around 400 to a tank on a run or outside off huddersfield (to barnsley for example)

Its the gearing i think, get a taller 5th in if you do lots of motorway driving (not good for hill towns lol for more info look on a2oc.com, will be doing this to my lupo tdi project at some point), dont buy cheap supermarket fuel, dont boot it everyware (i dont always stick to that lol) and read some mpg driving tips.

Best not to get too hung up on it tho bud, for the amount of fun they are i dont think we can grumble :)

Nice one.

I defo agree about the little motor, its a dream with the low tax and super economy, i just wanted to see what everyone else was getting, i think ill try the 68mph on the long drive and see what i can get, although its hard not to do 80mph as it so wants to.

:)

if you're doing 80 then it'll defo drink fuel, as has been said i'd say just under 70 is probably the best trade off between economy and actually getting where you're going in a decent time.

i used to drive 10 miles each way to work each day on a dual carriage way and used to tank it as i'd end up leaving late, i would quite often get 280 ish to a tank as in was 80 and above.

these days i commute 105 miles a day to work all on a roads and i've got it close to 400 before but it was pretty boring with no overtaking etc, now i don't bother and just drive how i like and still return 360-370

theres a thread on here somewhere with a guy who reckons he's getting 670 miles to a tank in his sdi lupo, i don't like saying people are talking bs but i can't see how thats poss when the tanks are the same size, and the mpg figures are pretty similar to a tdi

anyway, i'm thinking of getting a remap as i'd like the extra ponies.

Tbh I was driving back from Milton Keynes and I was doing 90+ all the way and fuel economy wasn't great! I had about 240 - 260miles out th tank. But on way down sitting at 70 and under I got well over 340 mile out of full tank

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a round trip of 400 miles and managed to stick to 70 mph, woop woop i got it done on a full tank so it goes to show even remapped i can still get good mileage.

Mint