Steering Wheel querie . . .

Hey peeps,

just got myself a GTI steering wheel and looking to fit it. I've checked the 'how to' guide on removing the airbag, etc.

Can anyone comment on any points I should be looking for before it blows up in my face? For example, is it really necessary to disconnect the battery before hand? Every time I attempted something on my previous car which involved disconnecting the battery, things would never go back to normal, even after I tried re-setting everything! Very bloody annoying!! :angry:

The stereo would be out, windows wouldn't work . . . until one day out of the blue they decided to!

Any advice before I tackle it would be appreciated.

Andy.

Ach, I was afraid you might say that! :(

Cool video though! :lol:

I just know I'll have problems after disconnecting the battery, I always do! :wacko:

i'd rather disconnect it, and be SURE im not gonna get an airbag to the face, i mean, that video is nuts, to the face, i cant even begin to imagine.

best of luck when you connect it back up though dude :)

Edited by Thooooom

Don't bother removing the battery. Just have the ignition off.

I've removed/refitted lots and lots of airbags without disconnecting the battery and none have blown up on me yet.

Wow, bit of a mixed bag then! :lol::D

Hey people,

can someone confirm what size socket(s) I need to remove the steering wheel before I start? Don't want to pull the airbag off and realise I need to go to Halfords afterwards!

Cheers.

Hey people,

can someone confirm what size socket(s) I need to remove the steering wheel before I start? Don't want to pull the airbag off and realise I need to go to Halfords afterwards!

Cheers.

Anyone? :(

24mm i think most half decent socket sets have it included

My socket set is from the 15th Century! I'll have a look to see if I have a 24mm, if not, I'll be off to Halfords. I asked them earlier, they didn't have a clue!

Cheers for the info guys.

Tried getting the airbag off earlier with screwdriver in the back, didn't happen! :(

Had the wind howling up my rear end while I was trying which wasn't helpful . . . it was quite pleasant though! Haha. :lol: