My iPod in the car

If you want to use an iPod in the car, this interface is the best thing ive tried. I had experimented with an iTrip fm transmitter but I couldn't live with the radio cracking constantly. I have a 4th Generation 40Gb iPod called iBert, here it is in the car.

iPod1.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Here he is showing the logo.

iPod2.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Here is the interface box.

KCA420i.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

It was literally placed in the back of the car, behind the hand brake cover for testing.

I love this interface as it uses the line out from the headunit, so the SQ is great, so much so its hard to distinguish it from the cd. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

My only bug was learning the controls to search playlists / albums / artists, but now ive cracked it. Its all good. Plus the battery is always full when you get to your destination.

I have the Apple dock cradle, but its not practical in the car. Plus most in car mounts seem to need to be placed into a cup holder, which I'm not a fan of, so I'm building a mount into the rear storage space by the side of the right hand chair. So I can dock it there and not worry about the iPod, and enjoy the drive.

Totally right Andi, the Alpine KCA420i uses the Ai Net control to make the iPod appear as a cd changer to the headunit. So you use the line out of the iPod and get a clean, pure sound.

he doesnt have a radio signal sound Dare, he has got a interchange that connects to the headunit.  

Near CD SQ

Doh! sorry boys i missed that! Ill have to mention that to my mate as i think hes getting fed up with it keep cutin out.

How much did it set you back (the alpine thingy)

You need an Alpine headunit to use this. However, you could get one of these: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product...?partno=VVGX001

And just hook the iPod up to it using a 3.5mm jack from the headphone socket into the dual phonos on the connects2 unit. Would get you the same sound quality, but you wouldn't be able to control the iPod through the headunit (which the Alpine module allows you to do).

You need to use the dock connector to get the line out jack from an iPod. If you use the headphone connection the output will distort the head unit. There are adaptors out there to replace the dock stand, in the form of a small clip on unit that gives you a line level socket and a dock connector pass through.

Glad to hear it all works, have yet to hear of anyone using the alpine system, though it sounds a great idea. I considered this route, but didn't want an alpine stereo, so I'll be connecting up my iPod through the aux connection and into the pioneer, or something like that, will probably get an ice place to fit that for me as I also want the cradle put in at the same time.

Have you not considered the denison (spelling?) cradle Dan? It looks great, though it would have to screw into the dash. I tried out one of those iPod cradles that goes into the cup holder, its rubbish, on some cars where the cup holder is built into the transmission tunnel it might be ok, but cos the loops just dangle out in the air its pants, both looks, and it bounced all over the shop!

cheeper way to get the alpine adapter is to go to halfords and Special Order one in smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> £69.99 and you dont need to pay any postage wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i got the ipod adapter but not got an iPod yet as i didnt realise how expensive they were when i decided the adapter would be nice.

QUOTE(M1 Lupo)
Andi, don't bother paying for it to be fitted. Let me know when you are back and want the headunit & cradle fitted.

Cheers matey, won't have the cradle forawhile, but I will be fitting my hu when I return at somepoint, so yeah, some help might be quite nice biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Dunno when it'll be though, staying in france over easter, won't be back for months, even longer without my car, argghhhh! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />