TDI remap question...

HaZz

Just a quick question for people with/previously owning a remapped TDI:

I was talking to a friend today and he said, he talked to an ex owner of a remapped TDI... The owner said that the remap is awesome, makes the car so much more fun to drive however! He claimed that, due to the power, you end up changing gear constantly and said it was a nightmare to drive daily to work and back due to having to change gear all the time...

I can kind of see this making sense, but figured i would ask on here before casting an opinion.

So my question is, with the remap, obviously it increases the power by a large amount but does this substitute the "normal" every day driving?

Thanks

As far as i see it the gears are the same the only reason you change gear "sooner" is because you get there faster. Keep the lead weight off the pedal and you should have the same driving style unless the map is agressive then i spose the boost could be irritating, smooth "good" map and same driving style i can only see good things.

p.s i neither own or have owned a remapped lupo "yet" so take it or leave it this is just my thoughts :)

Edited by westie1

It will be the best thing you ever do to the car. There are literally no downsides. As westie1 said, you'll only need to change gear sooner as the engine revs so much faster. Just ease off the pedal and watch your mpg's go up instead.

Jeez, that's a good price. How much is a custom one though?

Best thing i have ever done to the TDI. It pulls alot more smoother and MPG is great! it makes it alot nicer to drive on the "faster" roads, and a hell of a lot more fun on the bendy ones. As jon says the only reason you change gear more is cause it revs alot faster BUT it revs alot longer too, torque on mine stops at 3900 according to the graph. with 175lbs worth of torque ... DO IT!

I think I need an uprated lower pendulum mount before trying to extract any more power. The engine already wants to escape as it is.

What type is it that's fitted on the TDI? The 'double doughnut' type or the 'Void bush' type?

Hmm. Nothing available off the shelf that'll do the job.

Maybe worth looking at doing something similar to what John (casper) did with his and getting a DIY Poly Urethane moulding kit and just filling the voids?

• 4 weeks later...

Best thing i have ever done to the TDI. It pulls alot more smoother and MPG is great! it makes it alot nicer to drive on the "faster" roads, and a hell of a lot more fun on the bendy ones. As jon says the only reason you change gear more is cause it revs alot faster BUT it revs alot longer too, torque on mine stops at 3900 according to the graph. with 175lbs worth of torque ... DO IT!

were did u get your remap done at as im looking to get a seat arosa tdi and wud like to do the same? w/b

• 2 weeks later...

Void bush type. It looks like this:

DSC00219.jpg

Oi thats my picture/engine! :lol: hahaha!

Surprised you managed to find my build thread it's that long since I have updated it :o I'm going to go work on it for the first time since August this weekend though so will update it soon.....

were did u get your remap done at as im looking to get a seat arosa tdi and wud like to do the same? w/b

I got mine done at a place called PD Tuning In Boldon. Whether The road is 100% true I don't know I Havnt put it on any others

Oi thats my picture/engine! :lol: hahaha!

Surprised you managed to find my build thread it's that long since I have updated it :o I'm going to go work on it for the first time since August this weekend though so will update it soon.....

Yeah it took me a while to find it as you're up to 10 pages now :lol:. But I knew it was in there somewhere.

Yeah it took me a while to find it as you're up to 10 pages now :lol:. But I knew it was in there somewhere.

With any luck the 10 pages should increase in the next few weeks, I've just been sorting out a few bits and have a couple of them coming tomorrow. The Lupo should be in my garage at home before March so the updates will be a lot more regular ;)

ive been thinking of re-maping my tdi for a while now but still havent got round to it.

what are the common faults/problems that have occured after re-maping?

ive heard they blow off the intercooler pipes?

reason im so worried is i went with a frient to get his golf gti 1.8T re maped and after the map the golf killed 2 coilpacks in one hit(£35 each)dont want to be throwing my monney away :)

Remaps don't generally 'kill' things. When I used to be a Revo tech there were a few cars (not just talking Lupos here) that would throw up faulty coil packs or slipping clutches etc after the map be it straight away or a few days/weeks later and it is not the map 'breaking' the items.

When you think that the engine is going from say 100bhp to 50bhp how much extra are the components having to work?

Coil packs break. They break on standard un-mapped cars and they break on high spec big turbo-whos-your-daddy re-mapped cars and any car inbetween. The fact that your mates coil packs broke is probably nothing at all to do with the map and more likely coincidence or they were on their way out already and gave up the ghost around the same time as the map.

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many bloomin coil packs vw had to replace on the standard cars as they were utter rubbish, the part number has been superseded so many times to get them right!

Basically as long as your car is in good condition then the map shouldn't do anything other than good things for you. If a boost hose pops off them take a look at it and I'd bet you that it is either worn or broken somewhere and put it down to vehicle maintenance along with fitting new breaks, wiper blades, temp senders, servicing etc. The boost hoses on my Mk4 Golf Tdi gave up just before Christmas and cost me £300 to fix... it's not mapped and they popped off as the clips were broken from general wear and tear (driving).

You can't expect to put extra bhp through your engine and not have the possibility of having to tweek something else.

The Lupo Tdi that my projects engine came out of was fine for the couple of years it was driven with a map on... it was the idiot that drove it into a wall that broke it not the map (although technically it was too fast for them due to the map! :lol: )

So in short, get it mapped and wait to see if anything breaks, if it doesn't then all is good, if it does then fix it and all will still be good. The map will not be so 'big' that it breaks anything standard and in good working condition on your car especially if it is a generic map ;)